Acacia Mining seeks to employ a Geological Technician based at North Mara Mine in Tanzania. This role reports to the First Line Leader - Geology and the role holder will be accountable to manage daily field logistics of drilling programs, sampling, geological measurements, processing, dispatch and storage of the drilling samples in a safe and cost effective manner.
This is a twelve (12) month fixed term contract role, with the work roster being six (6) weeks on and three (3) weeks off.
• Ensure safe work practices, i.e. attending compulsory safety courses and meetings, use of required PPE, incident/accident reporting and ensuring total adherence to all Safety, Occupational Health and Environmental Policies, as well as other policies, procedures and guidelines.
• Commitment to identify, notify and/or rectify all unsafe acts, situations and hazards within the workplace.
• Reduction of drilling costs by managing the storage, distribution and use of drilling supplies and equipment.
• Maintain sampling at high standards and operate field equipment effectively.
• Maintain a high standard of record keeping of activities.
• Ensure drill samples are collected in accordance with the Standard Operating Procedure including recording of all required information and routine quality assurance and quality control practices.
• Facilitate the timely picking-up of drilling samples from the pits and subsequent dispatch to the laboratory.
• Sort, store and retrieve pulp and coarse reject samples.
• Report oil and diesel spills and leaking equipment.
• Ensure that appropriate and sufficient stock of drilling program and safety consumables is available at all times.
• Conduct mark outs to the required standard for mining.
• Perform ore spotting.
• Maintain equipment, vehicles and facilities.
• Assist with and participate in training programs for the development of all Geological Technicians.
• Control and maintain the daily blending strategy and direct and record ore trucks onto the appropriate stockpile.
• Ensure accurate recording of daily production.
• Provide updates of mining faces on dig plans.
• Mark out / label stockpiles as well updating faces on maps.
• Perform geological and / or face mapping producing maps to the standard required for mining plans.
• Provide accurate geological logs of drill holes.
• Accurately measure the location of blast movement balls before and after blasting.
• Provide accurate updates the geological database.
• Ensure the timely delivery of accurate geological data, knowledge, reports and documents.
• Diploma or Certificate in Geology or Tertiary Education in Geology at Technician Level.
• 3-5 years’ experience in mine and exploration geology.
• Familiar with the mining environment and its associated hazards
Skills / Knowledge Requirements:
• Able to drive a light vehicle according to LV standard operating procedure
• Knowledge of data entry software