The Agriculture Markets Development Trust (AMDT) has been established by the Governments of Denmark, Ireland, Sweden and Switzerland. The Trust has been established as a long term facility with the overall objective of increasing incomes and employment opportunities for poor women, men, and young people in Tanzania. With a strong pro-poor focus, the Trust works with the Private Sector, Government and Civil Society Organisations to promote the making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P)/Market Systems Development (MSD) approach that stimulates changes to market systems leading to broad and sustained impact on the lives of smallholder farmers as well as competitiveness of agricultural MSMEs. AMDT achieves this by investing, together with market actors, in interventions that are: (i) based on diagnosed constraints and pro-poor opportunities, (ii) are well coordinated to enhance the leveraging of investments and resources targeting similar outcomes, (iii) stimulate the development of inclusive, competitive, and resilient agricultural market systems, leading to sustained benefits and impacts for the productive poor.
AMDT is now seeking a qualified candidate to fill an international vacant full-time position. Descriptions and qualification requirements for the open position are outlined below.
Job Title: M4P Adviser
Reports to: Technical Director
Duty Station: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Duties and Responsibilities of the M4P Adviser:
The M4P Adviser will work with the Technical Director, other technical staff of the Trust, and selected stakeholders to deliver the following principal responsibilities:
- Initiate and lead in all the key areas of AMDT performance as a market systems facilitator
- Ensure the Trust as a whole attains the required strategic and operational capabilities required to deliver on its mandate for a program of its size and complexity
- Provide quality assurance for all the technical work of the Trust (processes, tools, and outputs) particularly in markets systems analyses, design and delivery of interventions, monitoring and results measurements, and program delivery efficiency
- Support the Technical Director in the recruitment, capacity building (e.g. through training, advice and mentoring), and retaining of technical staff of the Trust
- Assess and build the capacity of key AMDT stakeholders in all aspects of the M4P approach as required to deliver sustained pro-poor systemic changes
- Support the Technical Director in formulating and reviewing of strategic and operating Plans of the Trust, as well as developing and reviewing of strategies and engagement plans with key stakeholders to ensure effectiveness and timely delivery of results
- Advise and provide other required support to AMDT partners and stakeholders to ensure delivery of sustained systemic changes
- Review and approve Technical Reports, publications and other knowledge products of the Trust
The successful candidate will need to possess the following competences:
- Excellent theoretical and practical knowledge of the M4P approach, including whole sector development and delivery strategies
- A strong track record in senior level M4P facilitation roles as well as achieving demonstrable systemic changes
- A proven ability to constructively establish effective private and public partnerships
- Evidence of strong numeracy, communication, negotiation, networking, and senior level relationship management skills
- Very strong research and analytical skills including the ability to design and execute collaborative qualitative and quantitative research projects, and utilization of evidence to influence positive change among stakeholders and in market systems
- Solid experience in Monitoring and Results Measurement for large M4P or sector development programs; practical experience with the DCED Results Measurement Framework a plus
- Strong experience in agricultural programs management
- Knowledge and experience of agricultural markets and the private sector in Africa; knowledge of agricultural markets and the private sector in Tanzania, a plus
- Experience in leading, managing and mentoring diverse teams;
- Ability to prioritize and deliver while working under strict deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Conversant with the latest international developments and trends in the growing body of knowledge of M4P and private sector development practice
- Ability to tap into international networks related to M4P and private sector development.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in Agricultural Sciences, Agricultural Economics, Development Economics, Business Administration or other related discipline
- Minimum of 10 years relevant work experience, of which at least five (5) years should be in senior leadership and/or senior advisory positions in large M4P or whole sector development programs
- Must have formal training in M4P
- Formal training and/or Certification in Project or Program Management, a plus
To be considered for this position, an applicant must submit her/his CV, an application letter, and a Cover Letter of no more than two (2) pages that provides details of the applicant’s specific suitability for the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for applications is Monday 14th December 2015.
In the subject line of the email, write the title of the position for which you are applying. Applications that do not follow these instructions, or that do not meet the stated minimum qualification requirements will not be considered.
For any further details, please do check the website of AMDT on www.amdt.co.tz.