- Position title: Young Professionals Program - YPP 2015
- Grade: PL6
- Position N°: NA
- Reference: YPP-2015
- Publication date: 19/09/2014
- Closing date: 06/10/2014
The Young Professionals Program (YPP) targets the best available talent in our niche - young professionals with a passion for development in Africa. This program is not an internship; rather it offers an exceptional opportunity to talented young professionals with leadership potential, an established record of outstanding academic and professional achievement, a commitment to engagement in crucial issues and to making a difference at the national or international level. The YPP includes a rigorous program of activities that prepares participants to be technical and professional leaders with notable impact.
- The Program is for a period of three years, of which two years are mandatory and with the possibility of securing a regular staff position during the third year, based on satisfactory performance.
- The rotation assignments are to gain experience of the Bank’s various departments and development programs and processes.
- The training and development programs will include on-boarding, on the job learning and mentoring.
- Performance will be continuously reviewed and evaluated.
The Young Professionals will be based at the African Development Bank Headquarters, Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire.
Duties and responsibilities
The Young Professional Program (YPP) Strategic Focus Areas for 2015 Intake
The specific disciplines and specialist professional areas that are aligned to our Ten-Year Strategy (TYS) and our gender strategy are the following:
- Financial Sector Development
- Public and Private Sector Financial Management, Knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards, International Public Sector Accounting Standards and International Standards on Auditing, International Capital Markets, Environmental Finance.
- Actuarial Science, Investment Management and Analysis, Accounting, Financial Audit
- Natural Resource Management
- Water resource management, Environmentalist, and Forestry specialists.
- Climate change, Infrastructure financing, Energy economists.
- Gender Analysis and Integration
- ICT and Gender, Women in oil and gas, Gender economists.
- Political Economy Analysis - Fragile States and Situations
- Regional integration, Political Economy analysis, Public policy.
- Macro Economists, Government financial management, development policy and operations.
- Corporate Lawyers
- Public and private sectors operations.
- Administrative affairs.
- Architect, Transport economists, ICT specialist, Agro-industry.
The Bank expects to recruit between 15 and 20 candidates in the identified relevant focus areas. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
The Young Professional Program targets motivated and talented individuals from our member countries. Applicants must meet the following conditions:
- Citizen of a regional or non-regional member country of the African Development Bank.
- 32 years of age or younger by 31st December, 2015.
- A Master’s degree or equivalent or higher in Economics, Engineering, Social Sciences, International Development, Business Administration, Finance, or any discipline that is relevant to the business of the Bank as described above, and with outstanding academic credentials.
- A least 3 years relevant work experience, preferably with a multi-disciplinary background.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills; dynamism; results-orientation; and problem-solving capability.
- Demonstrated passion for development issues and a commitment to Africa.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft operating systems (PowerPoint, Excel, and Visio).
- Willingness and ability to relocate and/or undertake country assignments.
Please note that under the European License-Masters-Doctorate (LMD) system, the “Maîtrise” is not equivalent to the current Master’s degree in the French education system. Accordingly, candidates who present equivalencies to the Master’s degree (in both the Anglo-Saxon and French systems), must provide written verification from the university or academic institution that confer the degree.
In addition, preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate the following:
- Leadership potential.
- Ability to leverage knowledge.
- Ability to share knowledge and coach others.
- Adaptability in a multicultural setting.
- Information Communication and Technology (ICT) skills.
- People management and administrative skills.
- Fiduciary Risks (i.e. Audit, Risk Management and Anti-Corruption) skills.
- Knowledge Management skills.
- Field experience on the continent and/or in other developing countries.
- Working knowledge of a third language that is relevant to the Bank’s operations.
To be considered, please note that all applicants must have completed and obtained a Master’s or equivalent Degree Certificate by the date the vacancy announcement closes.
Applications will be accepted until midnight (GMT) of the closing date. We will not accept any application submissions after the closing date of the Vacancy Announcement.
A detailed description of the AfDB YPP is available here.
The AfDB offers an internationally competitive remuneration and benefits package.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Only applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are being considered for interview will be contacted. Applicants will only be considered if they submit an online application, and attach a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV). The AfDB President reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply: www.afdb.org/jobs