Acacia Mining seeks to employ three (3) Geological Assistants based at North Mara Mine in Tanzania. These roles report to the First Line Leader Geologist and the role holder will be accountable to assist with daily field logistics of the drilling program, sampling, geological measurements, core cutting and processing, dispatch and storage of the drilling samples in a safe and cost effective manner.
These are twelve (12) month fixed term contract role, with the work roster being six (6) weeks on and three (3) weeks off.
• Ensure safe work practices by attending compulsory safety courses and meetings, use of required PPE, incident/accident reporting and ensuring total adherence to all Safety, Occupational Health and Environmental Policies, as well as other policies, procedures and guidelines.
• Assist with daily field drilling logistics, ensuring a reduction in the drilling costs by managing the storage, distribution and use of drilling supplies and equipment.
• Maintain sampling at high standards and operate field equipment on an ongoing basis.
• Ensuring the drill samples are collected in accordance with the Standard Operating Procedure including the recording of all required information and routine quality assurance and quality control practices.
• Facilitate the timely picking-up of drilling samples from the pits and subsequent dispatch to the laboratory.
• Sort, store and retrieve pulp and coarse reject samples.
• Report oil and diesel spills and leaking equipment.
• Ensure that appropriate and sufficient stock of drilling program and safety consumables is available at all times.
• Maintain equipment, vehicles and facilities in the work areas.
• Conduct mark outs to the required standard for mining.
• Perform ore spotting.
• Provide updates of the mining faces on the dig plans.
• Mark out / label stockpiles as well updating faces on maps.
• Ensure the proper alignment of the drill rig and splitter.
• Safely operate the core saw by following the core cutting procedure.
• Ensure accurate recording of information on sample sheets and provide accurate updates to the sample database.
• Ensure accurate depths for geological logs of drill holes.
• Ensure accurate core recovery and quality measurements.
• Correctly photograph and store all core.
• Ensure the timely delivery of accurate geological data, knowledge, reports and documents.
• Secondary School Education – Ordinary Level
• 6 months to 1 year work experience in RC/DD drilling logistics and sampling.
• Experience in managing Geology consumables and costs.
Skills / Knowledge Requirements:
• Demonstrated numeracy and writing skills
• Well-developed verbal communication skills
• Familiar with working in an outdoor environment
• Familiar with the mining environment and its associated hazards
• Ability to drive a light vehicle according to LV standard operating procedure