Amref Health Africa is an independent, non-profit, Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) whose mission is “to improve the health of people by partnering with and empowering communities and strengthening health systems”. Amref Health Africa has over 500 employees throughout Africa with its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya. Amref Health Africa has offices in Tanzania, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Malawi, South Sudan and Senegal and a number of offices in Europe and North America for fundraising.
Amref Health Africa-Tanzania is largely supported by Multilateral, Bilateral and National donors, implementing several programmes including HIV/AIDS/TB/Malaria, Reproductive, Maternal, newborn and Child Health, Water and sanitation, capacity building and clinical outreach.
Amref Health Africa has a vacancy based in Bariadi -Simiyu.
1. GENDER OFFICER (1 POSITION- BASED IN BARIADI -SIMIYU)
REPORTS TO: PROJECT MANAGER RMNCH
• Provide required quality technical skills and guidance to project team, partners and stakeholders in provision of gender sensitive and friendly RMNCH/WASH services in health facilities and out-reach services
• Main actor at community level for community gender mobilization, organization of community and health facility activities, advocacy forums, networking and day to day project field work
• Planning and organizing skills
• Ability to operate modern office equipment
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Work closely with District Medical Officers and RCH coordinators in establishment and coordination of gender issues and ensure that gender mainstreaming throughout the projects.
• Spearheaded Gender training and other capacity building activities for health service providers of different cadres in the District Councils as required by the project.
• Work closely with DMOs and other District stakeholders in evaluations and results based management frameworks
• Developing, strengthening and supporting comprehensive and tangible gender equality strategies and action plans throughout the project.
• Provide day-to-day gender related technical support to partners and field officers.
• Work with Project Manager in ensuring adequate support is provided to the Council Health Management Teams to ensure gender equality capacity building for field teams via training and/or tool development to support comprehensive delivery of essential RMNCH/WASH package.
• Contributing to project knowledge management and learning related to gender equality
• Actively participate in District council health planning, supervisory, training and monitoring activities.
• Ongoing responsibilities include high quality technical support, both remotely and via travel to work with field teams in other districts
• Provide on-site mentoring, quality assurance and refresher training to health service providers available in health facilities and community health workers in the identified wards.
• Participates in development of strategic and annual work plans for the project
• Ensures good networking and collaboration with communities, partners and stakeholders
• Organize and coordinate community sensitization, advocacy and mobilizations campaigns with communities, partners and stakeholders.
• Organize quarterly review meetings with community leaders and health facility leaders, stakeholders and partners to discuss issues of gender mainstreaming
• Work closely with communities (CHW, community leaders, and community influencers), health service providers, CBOs and parents to promote community-based networking activities for women and Children Health.
• Participate fully in identification, documentation and dissemination of good practices and lessons learned.
• Actively participate in operational research and ensure high quality of intervention at community level
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Basic degree or Master of Arts in Gender Studies or in Women and Gender Studies or related field, and or equivalent training/experience in such as Public health.
• 3 - 5 years’ field work experience implementing, managing, and/or providing technical assistance to programs, including with focus on gender focused programs/gender mainstreaming or gender based violence projects; focus on child, women and adolescent programming desirable.
• Two years’ experience in gender focused programs and public health interventions. Professional work experience in the area of RMNCH/WASH.
• Ability to work independently, good leadership and communication skills
• Ability to work with people from all backgrounds
If you meet the criteria given above and interested in the vacancies, please send an application letter and CV combined in as one document indicating your present employerand position, daytime telephone contact, names and addresses of two referees. To be considered, your application must be received by 16.30 HOURS March 13th , 2017. All correspondences should be directed to: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Amref health Africa –Tanzania regrets that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Amref Health Africa is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy; Women and People with disability are encouraged to Apply