The Southern African Development Community Groundwater Management Institute (SADC-GMI) is a newly established regional center of excellence on groundwater hosted by the University of the Free State in Bloemfontein, South Africa on behalf of and under the strategic guidance of the SADC Secretariat, Directorate of Infrastructure and Services – Water Division, in Gaborone, Botswana.
SADC-GMI (www.sadc-gmi.org) based in Bloemfontein South Africa, has three exciting vacancies available:
Senior Groundwater Specialist
To provide technical support to the Director of the SADC-GMI and SADC Member States to coordinate and facilitate the design and implementation of (research, development, capacity building etc.) programmes in line with the strategic mandate of the GMI.
This post requires high level technical understanding of groundwater management. The Incumbent reports to and is accountable to the SADC-GMI Director.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
· Supporting the SADC-GMI Director in the development and operation of the SADC-GMI
· Developing and overseeing projects, programmes, courses and other activities to move forward groundwater management in the SADC region
· Providing strategic support with regard to policy direction, including alignment of operations to strategic outputs and assisting with the interpretation of the mandate of the SADC-GMI into strategic objectives
· Driving capacity building and groundwater management programmes of the SADC-GMI in line with the strategic business plan
· Serving on the senior management team of SADC-GMI to set policy, define objectives, developing marketing and operational plans Assisting in the collection and analysis of groundwater related data as well as the creation and operation of databases and knowledge management platforms
· Initiating, managing and supervising the SADC-GMI’s technical groundwater projects and programmes
· Drafting terms of reference and funding proposals for research projects and programmes
· Developing and maintaining relationships with SADC member representatives and relevant institutions, and establishing the reputation of the SADC-GMI
· Liaising with international, SADC based organizations and governments on capacity building and support initiatives
The ideal Senior Groundwater Specialist must meet the following criteria:
· A Masters or PhD. level degree in groundwater, hydrogeology, geohydrology, natural resource management, water resources or related field
· At least 10 years of working experience in groundwater or natural resources management or related fields with recognized technical expertise
· Experience with work and travel in SADC member states is an asset
· Excellent computer skills, including MS office programs (MS Excel/MS Word/MS Project)
· Excellent knowledge of English (writing, reading and speaking)
· Fluency in SADC Languages (French, or Portuguese) is desirable