(Ref. No. IRS/186/012017)
DIRECTOR OF RESEARCH AND PARTNERSHIPS (DRP)
icipe — African Insect Science for Food and Health is a world-class research centre with a mission to alleviate poverty by ensuring food security, improving health, protecting the environment, and building the capacity of researchers and communities across the developing world through the application of insect sciences. Employing more than 500 national and international staff, icipe has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya with a major campus on the shores of Lake Victoria in western Kenya and offices in Ethiopia, Somalia and Uganda. icipe has a proud reputation and history of delivering world-quality science that has made crucial contributions to addressing African food and health constraints and policy, delivered development outcomes to rural communities, and has been at the forefront of building Africa’s biological research capacity. The Centre’s research activities span the African continent with partnerships linking research organisations, not only across Africa, but also the globe. In addition, more than 150 graduate students and several postdoctoral fellows contribute to icipe’s research portfolio annually. For more information visit: www.icipe.org
Please also download icipe’s Vision and Strategy 2013–2020 http://www.icipe.org/publications/corporate-publications/vision-and-strategy
icipe seeks to recruit a suitable person to fill the position of Director of Research and Partnerships (DRP). The position is tenable in Nairobi at the icipe Duduville Campus, and is available to commence immediately. This is a two-year contract, with a possibility of extension after successfully completing a six-month probation period of the first contract.
A competitive and generous compensation package that includes housing and transport allowances, child education allowance up to university first degree, comprehensive health and life insurance, an offshore retirement package (all payable in US Dollars), will be offered to the right candidate. Furthermore, the incumbent will receive paid annual vacation, return airfare for themselves and their dependents to their nominated home base each year, and duty free privileges. If the successful candidate is appointed from outside Kenya, he or she will be offered support to relocate and settle in the city. icipe employs a number of international staff. Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
Living in Nairobi:
Nairobi is the capital and largest city of Kenya, and with a population of over three million, hosts all the urban and social amenities and offers a comfortable, convenient and pleasurable life. There are a wide variety of excellent international schools and well-equipped medical facilities that are open 24/7 in Nairobi. The city is also accessible by various reputable international airline carriers. Nairobi has a thriving international research scene, hosting various CGIAR centres and several UN agencies. Although it is important to be conscious of security, Kenyans are warm and welcoming of visitors.
The Director of Research and Partnerships (DRP) provides intellectual and strategic scientific leadership to the Centre. Together with the Director General and other senior members of the Centre, the DRP works to facilitate research excellence while enabling management processes and systems best suited for a vibrant and effective research environment.
Overall Purpose of the Job:
Reporting to the Director General (DG), he/she is one of icipe’s three senior managers and acts as the DG in the latter’s absence. He/she is expected to provide leadership, guidance, co-ordination and a new partnership paradigm to research themes and units.
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Develop strategies for and management of icipe’s R&D and capacity building programmes, and advise the Director General on strategic planning and science governance matters;
- Provide scientific leadership and planning to implement and monitor a coherent research agenda and research portfolio consistent with the Centre’s vision and strategy;
- Supervise the Centre’s senior scientists, coach direct reports, and promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement;
- Monitor staff performance and development goals, and oversee their professional development.
- Take the lead in monitoring the quality and relevance of science at icipe, ensuring that research is innovative and at cutting-edge, and that it yields publications in high impact journals and leads to concrete outcomes and impact;
- Oversee the implementation and management of research projects through the various stages of the funding cycle from proposal preparation to funding, execution, reporting and closure;
- Spearhead discussions on icipe’s key foci of upstream and downstream research and oversee the development of a strategic framework that can guide the Centre’s research, capacity building, and resource mobilisation activities;
- Work with the Senior Management team to attract world class scientific staff and maintain a stimulating environment for teamwork, scientific interactions, and performance;
- Develop and oversee mechanisms for evaluating the potential of research products for intellectual property rights (IPR) protection and/or commercial development, and facilitate the evolution of relevant partnerships with the private sector;
- Take the lead in forging of partnerships and cooperation with international, regional and national institutions, including host country institutions and the private sector;
- Contribute to raising the profile of?icipe?through influencing at regional and global levels; Represent icipe externally as necessary;
- Provide support to the Director General with respect to external representation, position the Centre as a research leader, serve on committees, and analyse and respond to change;
- Contribute significantly to resource mobilisation, including building good donor relations, identifying funding needs and gaps, and supervising the development of project proposals;
- Prepare programme reports to the icipe Governing Council, donors and various stakeholders of the Centre;
- Ensure compliance with Centre policies and procedures, propose upgrades, and develop relevant policies and procedures;
- Authorise transactions and oversee budgeting and spending.
- PhD in agricultural/health/environmental or related sciences, preferably with expertise in entomology. At least 10 years of experience in areas directly relevant to agricultural/health/environmental or related, sciences (such as animal or human health), and administrative responsibilities at a senior level.
- Excellent scientific credentials, including a substantive history of scientific publication in peer-reviewed journals.
- Willingness to do extensive travelling to other countries and regions.
- Strong research management skills.
- Ability to mobilise resources, and foster and manage interdisciplinary and multicultural research teams.
- Experience in managing research in organisations going through key transition and restructuring.
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and verbal.
- Strong oral communication skills, including Microsoft PowerPoint presentation skills.
Other desirable attributes:
- Excellent interpersonal skills required, including ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels, as well as with colleagues, donors and funders, IGO, NGO, UN Agency personnel and individuals with diversified backgrounds and nationalities.
This position reports to the Director General and supervises Principal Scientists and Senior Scientists.
The selected candidate should be prepared to join as soon as possible.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications will be accepted up to 25th February 2017, or until the position is filled, whichever is earlier. Interested applicants should submit: (a) a confidential cover letter, (b) detailed CV with names and addresses of 3 referees (including e-mail addresses, fax numbers), and (c) a statement illustrating suitability against the listed qualifications/competencies/abilities, and skills.
Candidates are required to apply online through: http://recruit.icipe.org
icipe is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equity, teamwork, and respect for diversity.