Number of Posts: 1
Grade & Level: Global B2
Location: Dar es Salaam
Contract Type: Fixed Term ( 2 Years)
Who we are
Oxfam in Tanzania (OiTZ) is renowned for its ability to help people in communities in very tangible ways: improving food security and livelihoods, reducing gender-based violence, increasing women’s economic and political participation; and working with pastoralist communities
To achieve this, OXFAM in Tanzania is seeks to recruit suitable qualified Candidate to fill the following positionHead of Humanitarian Programmes
Purpose of the Role
This role will cover the entire OiTZ programme including direct humanitarian interventions, long-term development work and advocacy & campaigns. The support provided to the OiTZ country team will be strategic and technical, remote and face-to-face and include staff in a variety of locations and local partners and allies.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Guarantee context monitor and ensure quality and readiness of resources as well as implementation for preparedness programs and emergency response (40%)
- Monitor and analyse the risks and humanitarian situations in Tanzania to inform Oxfam’s national commitments and expectations. Lead the development and implementation of Oxfam in Tanzania Humanitarian strategy as per OCS.
- In collaboration with partners and allies, design programmes, and develop appropriate Oxfam contingency plans, and related preparedness and mitigation strategies
- Before humanitarian crises, lead the preparedness by ensuring that well-trained human resources are always ready to act and material resources are pre-positionned in strategic locations.
- Develop and manage an appropriate response to humanitarian crises (WASH, Protection, Food Security & Livelihood) in line with agreed standards (e.g. Code of Conduct; SPHERE, Oxfam Gender Policy etc) and Oxfam’s best practice;
- In times of humanitarian crisis, provide effective leadership in pulling together an Oxfam humanitarian response, including an Oxfam humanitarian team where appropriate to respond to the crisis.
- Leadership on the implementation of the Humanitarian programme including quality control (especially ensuring equity), negotiation with local partners, financial management, documentation, monitoring and evaluation, reporting etc
- Overview and ensure quality proposals for programs and projects with consistent budgets according to Oxfam and donor guidelines, and ensure appropriate and timely reporting.
- Ensure implementation of Oxfam operational policies, procedures and guidelines, especially gender equity, in all aspects of Oxfam’s work. With support from technical advisors and programme service staff as needed
- Participate in resource mobilization and negotiation of appropriate resources in collaboration with the Oxfam Funding Coordinator
- Ensure high quality security management in the areas of operation.
- Responsible for the proper coordination and participation in all forums within Oxfam country, region or global as well as external networks on Humanitarian work (35%)
- Participate as a member of the Country Management Team in the overall planning and management of Oxfam in Tanzania
- Clearly and regularly communicate to the teams, line manager, the regional humanitarian lead about the humanitarian situation and context.
- Liaise with the HECA Regional Platform and the Global Humanitarian Team on humanitarian programme related matters
- Within and beyond Tanzania, develop and maintain a network for Humanitarian actors and issues . Represent Oxfam to donors and diplomatic missions and communicate Oxfam public policy and advocacy positions as and when appropriate to institutions, government, international, UN national and local organisations as required.
- Act as Oxfam’s representative at local and national level with local authorities, partners, donors, UN, and relevant diplomatic missions etc. as required, mainly in events relating to Humanitarian programme.
- Leading Humanitarian Unit team and capacity building also for partners (25%)
- Design capacity building initiatives for staff and local partners, in identifies areas of risk, in humanitarian response so as to be positioned to provide surge capacity within the country for humanitarian work
- With support from HR manage staff as per Country labour laws and Oxfam policies and guideline
- Actively participate in the implementation of Performance Management. Including objective setting, performance review, upward feedback and personal development plans. Ensuring relevant aspects of Oxfam’s work in Tanzania e.g. gender equity is reflected in your objectives.
Skills and Competencies
To be successful in this role, we need someone with;
- Senior management experience in leading large scale humanitarian programmes, and ensuring the delivery of programme strategy, either through partners or directly, in remote or more challenging locations
- Proven analytical skills and ability to think strategically, including the ability to think beyond the country programme context and to act within a regional and global framework
- Ability to manage the development of, and contribute to, the high level analysis of factors driving poverty, marginalisation and vulnerability in developing country contexts, including the ability to ‘think politically’ by understanding motivations, pressures and challenges faced by colleagues, partners and other actors
- Experience of working in insecure environments and volatile conditions.
- Experience in representing an organisation with partners, government agencies, private sector organisations, and donors at senior level: locally, regionally and globally
- An active commitment to promoting gender equity and the interests of marginalised people in all aspects of an organisations work
- Good financial management skills to steer the operational budget
- Understanding of managing security and risk within an INGO context
- Good level of IT literacy and an understanding of how new developments in technology can positively contribute to the aims of an INGO
- Excellent decision making and able to build consensus around decisions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to motivate, influence, and negotiate
- Results driven and demonstrable ability to set and communicate goals and ensure effective and appropriate decision making and problem solving
- Ability to resolve complex problems and provide clear and effective communication and representation
- Ability to influence & manage multiple and diverse stakeholders
If you believe you qualify for the above posts, please submit your application and CV, detailing your experience for the post and include two referees, preferably your current line manager by applying online atwww.oxfam.org.uk/jobs. You are advised to use advertreference number INT2474 and job title above. The closing date for applications is 9th June 2016
Applications from suitably qualified Tanzanian nationals, especially women are encouraged and welcomed.
Diversity The difference starts with you
Oxfam has zero tolerance on bribery; any such incidences of solicitation should be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org