For over 50 years and in 146 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development and food security in order to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil society. ACDI/VOCA currently has approximately 34 projects in 26 countries and revenues of approximately $174 million.
Senior Trade and Food Safety Consultant, Southern Africa
USAID’s Bureau for Food Security is requesting the services of ACDI/VOCA, under its Leveraging Economic Opportunities (LEO) contract, to identify key constraints (including SPS measures) to trade within the maize, soya, and groundnut value chains in southern Africa, and to propose potential investments to address those constraints. This will not be a value chain analysis, but rather it will bring together a wealth of knowledge about the targeted value chains and inventory key constraints that prohibit inclusive development and prioritize among constraints. ACDI/VOCA is seeking several Senior Trade and/or Food Safety consultants to support an analysis of trade constraints and potential investments in the maize, soya, and groundnut value chains in southern Africa. The consultants will be responsible for identifying VC constraints, including food safety systems (SPS) that impact regional trade, highlighting investment opportunities and assessing trade impacts. The assignment will require field research and regional travel in southern Africa.
· Conduct an analysis drawing on existing desk research and discussions with key stakeholders to determine constraints and opportunities in the targeted value chains, both SPS and non-SPS barriers, that impact regional trade of maize and rice in West Africa.
· Assess the relative importance of SPS issues, vis a via other constraints, to trade of these commodities in the region.
· Map current initiatives to address these constraints and identify priorities among issue areas;
· Identify the options and opportunities (at both the country and regional level) to facilitate or stimulate investment (private and public) in the focus value chains to resolve or remove the primary SPS barriers.
· Assess trade impacts in the focus value chains regarding their affect and/or influence on employment of men, women and youth as well as opportunities for SME development.
· Advanced degree or extensive experience in Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Production (Food Safety Systems), Business Administration or related field.
· Experience working in the southern Africa region on trade issues and investment dynamics in the maize, soya, and groundnut value chains.
· Familiarity with SPS measures and food safety systems in southern Africa
· Fluency in English required and Portuguese desirable.
· Excellent writing and analytical skills.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please apply by sending your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the position for which you are applying for in the subject line. No phone calls please. Only finalists contacted. Women and minorities encouraged to apply. EOE.