We are seeking a Project Manager to manage the strategy development and implementation of our Cardiology Care and Prevention program in Tanzania.
In the past year, Touch has started a program funded by Medtronic Philanthropy and other donors to apply a health system strengthening approach to Cardiology and Rheumatic Heart Disease (RHD) control in the Lake Zone of Tanzania. We initially conducted a rigorous assessment of the RHD needs in the Sengerema district of Tanzania to inform the development of our strategy and interventions on the ground. We are also working with specialist cardiologists from the U.S. to bring their expertise and improve health services at our flagship institution, Bugando Medical Centre (BMC), the referral hospital serving about a third of the Tanzanian population.
The Project Manager will take on the Cardiology Care and Prevention program from the initial assessment phase and work with Touch leadership, technical advisors and Tanzanian partners to develop a sound strategy and implementation plan. The Project Manager will be responsible for the overall project, managing the day-to-day implementation of the initiatives on the ground and ensuring the project delivers the expected impact to the Tanzanian people. He/she will also assume substantial cross-functional responsibilities to meet strategic program objectives in collaboration with program leadership and management. The Project Manager will also manage partners and donors, and monitor activities on the ground and report to management.
He/she will work under the overall direction of our Country Director, a former McKinsey Senior Engagement Manager, located in Tanzania. Responsibilities of the role may be adapted based upon the experience of the successful candidate.
Responsibilities and Tasks
· Work in collaboration with in-country leadership and program funders to develop the implementation strategy for the Cardiology Care and Prevention program
· Prepare, manage and monitor program budgets and implementation workplans in collaboration with program team and financial management
· Manage, as appropriate, relationships with program partners, including sub-contractors, vendors and other local and international partners, ensuring that they deliver on agreed upon objectives within time frame and budget
· Collaborate with program team to undertake effective monitoring and evaluation of the program
· Conduct data analyses and prepare reports on program implementation progress and impact for management, donors or other stakeholders
· Assist with compliance with USAID and other donor requirements, Government of Tanzania relevant regulations, and organizational policies and procedures
· Maintain holistic and detailed understanding of program work as well as opportunities for expansion
· Assist with preparation of funding proposals
· Contribute to suite of communication vehicles, including print and web-based articles, letters and other marketing materials
· Communicate regularly and effectively with various program partners
· Minimum one-year commitment
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the Project Manager may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties.
Qualifications of successful candidate
Knowledge, Education, Skills and Experience
· Minimum 2 years relevant professional experience in project management
· Masters or Doctorate degree in relevant field (e.g. MPH, MBA, MPA, MD, international development) or equivalent demonstrated professional experience
· Prior management experience in a consulting environment within the developing world preferred
· Prior experience in non-communicable disease control programs and/or health system strengthening initiatives preferred
· Experience working with donor regulations, in particular with USAID funded programs
· Experience in program monitoring, evaluation and reporting
· Leadership, organizational and problem solving skills and excellent attention to detail
· Strong analytical abilities, both quantitative and qualitative
· Excellent oral and written communication skills, especially in the functional use of Excel, PowerPoint and Microsoft word
· Solid relationship-building skills and cross-cultural sensitivity: ability to interface with external constituents from a variety of backgrounds
· Good judgment and discretion to represent the Touch Foundation in a highly professional manner, as well as respect for local “culture.”
Touch Foundation, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer (M/F/D/V).
Qualified applicants shall submit their CV and cover letter to Touch_Foundation_Jobs@mckinsey.com, stating the position being applied for in the subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.