This Finance Associate position is located within the PSB Finance Team of UNFPA’s Procurement Services Branch (PSB) and will directly report to the Finance Specialist who leads the Finance Team.
The PSB Finance Team - working closely with the UNFPA Finance Branch, New York - supports PSB procurement operations by providing expertise, financial management and financial controllership of procurement activities.
Specifically, the PSB Finance Team ensures that PSB Third Party Procurement (TPP) and Inventory operations are supported and controlled from a financial perspective. It manages PSB Accounts Payable (AP) function and the Internal Financial Control systems of PSB. It manages PSB Financial Reporting (Internal & External) and facilitates PSB Financial Planning so it is effective and fit for purposes by ensuring funding systems and recharge mechanisms are in place for core cost control. It is responsible coordination of PSB annual accounts closure activities and deadlines and liaising with auditors on finance related queries.
Under the overall supervision of the Finance Specialist, this post is responsible for all the day to day financial aspects of Third Party Procurement (TPP). The post also provides backstop support for the AP function. Additionally, the post also provides input to other financial management tasks including financial analysis, reconciliations, systems development, bookkeeping & accounting, business process management and key accounts closure activities.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
1. TPP – Transaction Monitoring and Processing
Administering and monitoring of the Accounts Receivable (AR) function of UNFPA's Third Party Procurement function, including monitoring of Proforma Invoices, cash receipts, preparation and issuing budgetary allotments in the ERP system, ensuring compliance with Financial Regulations and Rules and established procedures for the financial management of TPP revenue.
· Create Customer IDs/Donor IDs in Atlas.
· Track unapplied deposits and Issue update to Buyers on Status of PIs (Sales).
· Process and monitor Proforma invoices, create Billing Items in Atlas.
· Budget set up in ERP (creation of AX1 ledger and association with Rev ledger).
· Troubleshoot technical problems with AR/Billing/KK function in Atlas together with MIS.
· Follow up/Resolution on Exceptions handling of Proforma Invoices.
· Maintain OMS (Order Management System) for all things finance related.
2. TPP –Financial Reconciliations & Reporting
Monitoring all TPP client accounts ensuring they are reconciled and accurate. This includes reporting and analysis of receivables and payables and processing all accounting entries required to control TPP.
· Draft TPP Management Monthly Control Reports on Revenue, Receivables, Pipeline and Exceptions.
· Review and Reconcile AR report in ERP.
· Monitor and analyse and correct financial exceptions reports for TPP.
· Follow up with Buyers, clients and donors for the settlement of accounts (recoveries, refunds).
· Prepare and issue balance reports and financial statements to clients/donors,
· Review and Approve Final invoices to be issued to TPP clients.
· Residual Gains/losses calculation and processing in ERP.
· TPP Handling Fee calculation and processing in ERP.
3. TPP –System Development and Business Processes
Ensuring the Financial Systems and Business Processes associated with TPP are accurate, up to date and clear. Participate in cross-functional working groups to optimize TPP operations.
· Maintain, support and Implement financial aspects of Order Management Module (in ERP).
· Recommend and maintain Improvements to Finance TPP SOPs/Manual.
· Review and support Procurement ISO Business Processes updates pertaining to finance aspects of TPP.
· Support PSB Management Team in developing systems and processes that support more efficient TPP processes while maintaining compliance with procedures and adequate financial controllership.
4. Support Other Finance Team tasks
Perform other key tasks as needed to support the AP function, Inventory Management, Year End and Budgetary/recharge processes.
· Provide backstop role for Finance Team Lead and other team members in their absence from office. – Including AP function and Bookkeeping.
· Recommend and maintain Improvements to Other Finance SOP/ Manuals
· Support PSB annual Accounts Closure Instructions
· Support PSB Audit queries and any audit requirements upon request.
· Support Reconciliations of Inventory Revolving Fund Financial Data.
· Support Recharging of PSB incurred costs to other Business Units.
· Perform any other related duties as assigned by the Finance Specialist.
Qualifications and Experience
Completion of a secondary education.
Completion of a first level degree in Finance/Business or a related field will be a strong advantage.
Completion of an advanced relevant university degree or professional accounting designation (e.g. CPA, CA) will be an advantage.
Knowledge and Experience
6 years of prior experience in accounting / finance or related role
Understanding of international and public sector finance and procurement including IPSAS.
Previous experience with major ERP system, (preferably Peoplesoft / Oracle)
Working knowledge of SuperOffice and Cognos report writer software an asset.
Demonstrated prior experience in accounting reconciliations and variance analysis.
Previous finance related experience with the UN system organizations (particularly UNFPA) is an advantage;
Excellent writing and communication skills;
Very Strong Proficiency in the use of spreadsheets, word processing and computerized accounting systems.
Fluency in Oral and Written English.
i) Values: Exemplifying integrity, Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system, Embracing cultural diversity, Embracing change
ii) Core Competencies: Achieving results, Being accountable, Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen, Thinking analytically and strategically, Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships, Communicating for impact
iii) Required Skillset: Ensuring operational effectiveness and accountability for results, Managing the organizations financial resources, Providing a technical /functional support system.
HOW TO APPLY:
UNFPA offers a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, respect for diversity, integrity, and a healthy work/life balance. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply.
We offer an attractive salary, subsidized medical/dental insurance and pension benefits.
Applications in English (letter of interest, quoting Finance Associate) and completed