The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fill a consultancy position as Innovation Accelerator Project Manager, based in our newly established Innovation Accelerator in Munich, Germany.
A new division for Innovation and Change Management was been established in 2015 to coordinate global efforts for innovation and change management. A key aspect of these activities is WFP’s Innovation Accelerator, which supports entrepreneurs for zero hunger innovation projects. The Innovation Accelerator was designed based on a review of WFP internal challenges and external benchmarking across the UN system and innovation leaders such as Google, Amazon or YCombinator.
The Innovation Accelerator in Munich supports WFP’s ability to identify and develop new innovation ideas as well as to take innovative approaches to scale. It combines lean start-up and human-centered design approaches with field innovation experience to accelerate innovations for zero hunger.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Head of Innovation Accelerator the Innovation Accelerator Project Manager will be responsible for the following key duties:
Manage or drive forward innovation projects for zero hunger:
· Support and coach project teams during ideation & product design
· Participate and carry out discussions with senior managers in other divisions to align on project scope and objectives
· Take a lead role in advising and supporting teams on key decisions regarding product features and technology options
· Provide project management support, including supporting the development of innovative solutions
· Support product testing and improvements as required
· Execute any other task required by the innovation project
· Coach and lead other staff/consultants as required
Build a strong innovation platform and network
· Build strong partnerships within the innovation ecosystem globally
· Engage external innovation community to act as partners to drive forward innovations with potential for zero hunger
· Run workshops and events to introduce innovation methods across and outside of the organization
· Build and grow an internal innovation network to share best practices and create a peer innovation network
Support the innovation accelerator build-up, administration & management
· Provide analysis & content preparation (powerpoint presentations, brief, etc) for corporate priority topics and executive management meetings
· Participate and carry out discussions with managers in other divisions or external stakeholders on topics related to innovation
· Take the lead for a core process of the Innovation Accelerator (e.g. innovation challenge; innovation bootcamps; sprint programme; thought leadership; innovation fund) as required
· Support the Head of the Innovation Accelerator and the Director of Innovation with other activities as required
Qualifications & Experience Required
The candidate must have a bachelor or master’s degree; a University degree in business, entrepreneurship, science and technology, economics, international relations or a related field with an innovation focus preferred.
At least 6 years of experience in start-ups, innovation projects, project management or management consulting; tech industry or social innovation preferred; NGO/UN experience a plus.
Willing to work in and travel to different field locations and challenging operating environments.
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
Working experience in start-ups, innovation projects, innovation project management or management consulting required, working with fast paced teams;
Proven track managing start-up or project teams required;
Human-centered design, lean start-up or hands-on start-up experience preferred;
Interest in or knowledge of social innovation, innovations in developing countries for zero hunger;
Experience through participating in a start-up accelerator programme, running a start-up accelerator or coaching start-ups a plus.
Able to generate new and original solutions to complex problems and to design new products ideas
Strong conceptual thinking to develop new strategies and innovative projects
Ability to interact with leaders and external audience with maturity and tact
Collaborative spirit, able to partner with a wide range of people at all levels and across different cultures and to act with credibility and diplomacy
Strong time management skills with an ability to plan ahead, anticipate requirements, problems and obstacles, and an ability to juggle competing priorities successfully, and to work to tight deadlines
Self-motivated and able to work with a high degree of autonomy
Sets high-level of ambition for the project and own work to achieve impact for the hungry people we serve
Fully committed and motivated to achieve the aims of the UN World Food Programme
Fluency in oral and written English with an intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) is desirable.
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Contracts are a regular WFP Consultancy contract for a duration of 5-11 months. Extensions can be considered.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.