Head of Programmes
Number of Posts: 1
Grade & Level: Global/ National+ C1
Location: Dar es Salaam
Contract Type: Fixed Term (3 Years)
Who we are
Oxfam in Tanzania (OiTZ) is renowned for its ability to help people in communities in very tangible ways: improving food security and livelihoods, reducing gender-based violence, increasing women’s economic and political participation; and working with pastoralist communities
To achieve this, OXFAM in Tanzania seeks to recruit suitable qualified Candidate to fill in the following positionHead of Programmes
The Head of Programme (HoP) will be responsible for the development, design and management/monitoring of the country programmes and for ensuring the OiTZ programme responds to current development trends related in Tanzania. The HoP will have a direct line report to the CD and be a member of the Country Management Team.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Under the leadership of the CD, leads programme strategy development
- To provide overall strategic and technical leadership in the design, development, planning, budgeting, and implementation of the OCS
- Initiate, coordinate and lead Oxfam’s one program in Tanzania ensuring it delivers on the OCS vision and objectives and championing the new ways of working embodied in the OCS
- Ensures that Women’s rights are protected and promoted in all of Oxfam’s work in Tanzania
- Participate in the annual budget process, leading on the program budget process, and provide ongoing oversight of program budgets
- Contacts and building associations that can be used to enhance Oxfam’s work , and identifying key partners to collaborate with on the delivery of the program.
- Ensures the delivery of a country program with demonstrable impact and is accountable for ensuring that the programme meets overall program quality and learning standards
- Manages and is accountable for programme budget including responding to high level management and variance reports
- Working with the Head of Programme Quality, develop, implement and embed, a knowledge management system, that will ensure the sharing of knowledge across the program, other country programs, and the broader confederation
- Working closely with the Program Funding Manager, indentify opportunities for funding to ensure the financial sustainability of country programme of Oxfam in Tanzania
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of Oxfam’s partnership approach, including work with coalitions and networks, adopting a strategic, proactive perspective on how to achieve partner led approaches to achieve sustainable change
- Leads the development of country level programme reporting – facilitating programme Managers and other team members contributions to reporting, consolidating programme reports and providing high level strategic analysis of programme impact
- Ensures that team members have access to staff development opportunities, identifies and addresses capacity gaps and provides ongoing counselling and support team members
- Manage and support the Program Team to deliver on the OCS, providing leadership, inspiration and guidance and ensuring that the management of the team is in line with Oxfam’s HR policies and procedures.
- With support from Human Resources Manager, manages the life cycle of individuals within the team from pre-recruitment to exit, including performance management processes, people’s development and working with HR on issues such as disciplinary matters among others.
Skills and Competencies
To be successful in this role, we need someone with;
- Good managerial skills to co-ordinate the Tanzania program team to deliver on the OCS objectives.
- Ability to coach on the building of strong, credible relationships with international and local NGOs, government associations, business leaders and communities
- Excellent personal communication skills, in written and verbal English, with high impact influencing and persuasive skills. Able to use different approaches to achieve followership.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and those of marginalised people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work in Tanzania.
- Proven analytical and conceptual thinking, high level research, project management knowledge and skills and experience using participatory tools and methodologies for assessment, programme identification, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Knowledge of capacity building, learning and development activities and how to create a learning and sharing environment with a strong knowledge management basis
- Commitment to and knowledge of creating a partner-led operational environment, with an ability to create an internal Oxfam approach that is focussed on developing and supporting partner organisations to achieve direct impact and results relating to Oxfam’s objectives
- Knowledge of, and experience in working with donors
- Politically astute, with high impact influencing and persuasive skills and personal gravitas to gain respect and build and maintain strong, credible relationships, with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Driving licence and use of it in insecure contexts.
- Flexibility in terms of travel and working hours is a requirement of this role with the possibility of working away from the office for periods of up to 2 weeks at a time approximately 5-6 times in any 12 months.
- Language, Kiswahili comprehension.
- Experience or knowledge of Tanzania and/or regional dynamics.
If you believe you qualify for the above post, please submit your application and CV, detailing your experience for the post and include two referees, preferably your current line manager by applying online at www.oxfam.org.uk/jobs.You are advised to use advert reference number INT2529 and job title above. The closing date for applications is30th June 2016
Diversity The difference starts with you
Oxfam has zero tolerance on bribery; any such incidences of solicitation should be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org