Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a Tanzanian non-governmental Institute with a mission of generating new knowledge and relevant information for public health policy and action. IHI is one of the leading health research outfits in Africa and has ongoing collaborations with multiple global centers of research excellence. IHI is seeking to recruite an interested individuaal for the position of Grants and Contracts Officer (GCO).
SUMMARY OF THE ROLES.
Reporting to the Deputy Director Research and Based in Dar es Salaam; The grants and contracts officer will be responsible for monitoring, supporting the implementation of all sponsored research projects, from the time these projects are conceived, through entire project life cycles, until the time when these projects are eventually closed. He/she reviews and coordinates the sponsored project proposals, and leads negotiations towards successful award of grants or contract awards or amendments, including any sub-awards and subcontracts.
The roles also include coordination of contract negotiations involving multiple parties. He/she is required to support project leaders and researchers but also to ensure that the researchers adhere to relevant regulations governing research. The grants and contracts officer, will work with researchers and finance to assessing the potential financial and social value of all intellectual property rights associated with all research conducted by IHI and advice on appropriate steps that safeguard the interest of IHI and maximizes the societal gains from the intellectual property, while maintaining IHI’s relations with funding partners.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Specific roles and responsibilities include but not limited to the following:-
1. Prepare and negotiate different types of contracts with existing and new IHI partners, including
consultancy agreements (CA), material transfer agreements (MTA), non-disclosure agreements (NDA)
and data sharing and data transfer agreements (DS/DTA), to ensure compliance with Ifakara Health
Institute and funding partners.
2. Maintain good working relations with all IHI funding partners, while protecting institutional interests,
during contract negotiations and implementation of the sponsored projects.
3. Ensure that all grants and contracts are implemented within the institutional, national and international
rules and regulations governing research, and that appropriate records are maintained to this effect.
4. Review and advice on renewals and/or extensions of existing contractual agreements between IHI and its partners. Ensure implementation of grant revisions and approved amendments and project closures in a timely manner.
5. Provide support for and ensure compliance by project leaders to the contractual agreements, including scientific, administrative and financial reporting schedules, as well as any training-related reporting included in these project awards.
6. Harmonize the channels of participation by IHI researchers in external partnerships and ensure
satisfactory communication between IHI and her partners. Ensure that participation of IHI staff in
external partnerships is guided by IHI core values.
7. Maintains relevant records and documentation of all sponsored projects in compliance with approved
regulations and established procedures.
8. Assess the potential financial and social value of all intellectual property associated with all research conducted in IHI and advice on appropriate steps that safeguard the interest of IHI and maximizes the societal and institutional gains from the intellectual property, while maintaining our relations with funding partners.
9. Maintain IHI project portfolio
WORK CLOSELY WITH INSTITUTIONAL HEADS OF UNITS TO ACHIEVE THE FOLLOWING:
1. Ensure all new projects are adequately budgeted for and that the finance activities within these
projects are in line with the contractual agreements
2. Provide mentorship and support to project leaders and accountants on good grant management
practices, and ensure continued improvements.
3. Maintain summary records of project performance including financial and scientific progress of the
projects, at all times
4. Upon request by institute management and partners, conduct periodic reviews and reports on
selected projects in compliance with each grant requirements and protocol, maintaining all related
transactions, records and documentations in line with accepted established procedures.
5. Any other duties which may be assigned by supervisor.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE.
1. Master’s degree (MSc Project Management, MBA) /related field with 2-5 years of experience work witha wide range of donor funded projects.
2. Candidates with Bachelor’s degrees and long relevant experience may be considered
3. Project management training and experience required
1 A team player with excellent written and oral communication skills
2 Capable of using computerized management system
3 Must be a proactive problem solver, who is able to multitask while remaining enthusiastic, diplomatic and welcoming
4 Flexible, open to change and supportive of others, and with good interpersonal and organizational skills
5 Basic knowledge of the national and international regulations governing research, contract law,
intellectual property rights, insurance & indemnification and university accounting procedures preferred.
6 Working well in a close team and establishing a high effective network both in the organisation and
beyond with colleagues at all levels of seniority.
REMUNERATION AND MODE OF EMPLOYMENT
• An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI scales.
MODE OF APPLICATION:
Candidates meeting the above job requirements should send their applications with detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact address, e-mail, telephone numbers, names of three referees with their addresses & contacts; also, scan/photocopies of academic and professional certificates to the following address::
Chief Human Resources Officer
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
Dar es Salaam.
E mail: email@example.com
The dead line for submission of application is 15th June 2016. Only successful candidates will be notified.