- Position title: Senior Translator - CLSD
- Grade: PL5
- Position N°: 50001482
- Reference: ADB/16/091
- Publication date: 09/08/2016
- Closing date: 29/08/2016
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
The primary role of the Language Services Department is to ensure, as required by the Bank’s Agreement, the accessibility in the two working languages of the Bank (English and French, and on occasion Arabic and Portuguese) of all issues and documents submitted to the Senior Management and governing bodies of the Bank, for efficient decision-making aimed at the achievement of the Bank’s mission. To this end, high priority will be accorded to ensuring an accurate and effective flow of communication within the Bank, and also between the Bank, its shareholders, development partners and the public at large, through the translation, interpretation and terminological services provided by the Department.
The specific objective of the French Translation Division (CLSD.2) is to ensure quality translation of all Bank documents into French, as well as the editing in French of key documents such as the Bank Group Annual Report.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Division Manager CLSD.2, the incumbent:
1. Translates into French from English, without revision;
2. Translates complex, technical and sensitive documents covering the full range of the Bank’s work, namely: reports of an economic and financial nature, statements from Senior Management, audit reports, planning and programming documents, project appraisal reports, legal documents, etc.;
3. Must aim at a high standard of accuracy, faithfulness to the spirit, style and nuances of the original.
4. Observes established terminology and usage and ensures consistency among individual translators working on the same document;
5. Advises on language matters and proposes improvements to the translation process;
6. Assists less experienced internal and external translators and helps to develop the Department’s terminology base;
7. Participates in working groups on various issues related to the business of the Bank in general, and that of the Division in particular;
8. Performs any other duty assigned to him/her by his supervisors.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. At least possess a Master’s degree or its equivalent in translation. Qualifications in any other discipline relevant to the business of the African Development Bank Group would be an added advantage;
2. Have at least 5 (five) years practical experience in translation (particularly in economy, finance and/or law), at least 3 of which (for external candidates) should have been spent working in or with an international organization (preferably in multilateral development banks);
3. Have extensive general knowledge and be able to quickly adapt to a complex multicultural environment;
4. Possess excellent writing skills and a sound mastery of various language standards;
5. Have initiative and the ability to grasp the basic challenges of the African Development Bank;
6. Be able to quickly blend into, and maintain a smooth working relationship with a multilingual team;
7. Have a sound knowledge of, and be able to use modern Computer-Assisted Translation tools (Trados, Multitrans, etc);
8. Be conversant with all the Microsoft standard software used in the Bank to be able to revise directly and independently on the computer.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.