The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a consultant with global experience in managing and facilitating seed systems activities with special focus on multiple biofortified crops including orange-fleshed sweet potato, vitamin A yellow cassava, vitamin A orange maize and high iron beans.
· This consultancy contract is for 10 working days spread over the period September to December 2016, with possibility of extension, subject to performance and availability of funding.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The consultant will work closely with CIAT, CIMMYT, CIP, IITA and Harvest Plus and the other consortium partners to coordinate the seed systems activities, synthesize seed systems progress reports and support capacity development activities as called upon. The specific activities include to:
· Work with the seed experts under BNFB to ensure effective networking, collaboration and communication to facilitate a strategic focus on mainstreaming bio fortification into country breeding programs;
· Work with the seed systems experts to define the terms of reference for seed systems platforms in Nigeria and Tanzania.
· Act as the ‘secretary’ to the seed systems platform, and ensure that meetings are scheduled regularly by rotating conveners. The platform will provide the opportunity to deliberate on topical cross-cutting seed systems issues, develop implementation strategies, associated work plans and agree on appropriate division of labor. The platform will also provide opportunities for monitoring and learning;
· Synthesize the respective commodity based seed systems progress reports and develop consolidated seed systems progress reports.
· Provide input to the seed systems partners’ needs assessment exercise and subsequent capacity development response strategy.
· Academic Qualifications: Relevant PhD degree with specialization in Plant breeding, Agronomy, Seed technology or related fields;
· Experience: Extensive experience in developing seed systems in selected commodity value chain and strengthening seed supply chain, with a focus on (seed and grain) market development and commercialization;
· Global expertise: Relevant work experience in international organizations or NGO’s in multi-cultural environments is required.
· Language: Proven communication skills in English.
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants should apply online through our CIP’s Job Opportunities website (http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/), including a cover letter, a full C.V with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Screening of applications will begin on 31 August, 2016 and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted.