Founded in 1979, Action Against Hunger International (ACF) is an international humanitarian recognized in the fight against hunger. ACF mission is to save lives through the prevention, detection, and treatment of malnutrition, especially during and after emergency situations and conflicts. Helen Keller International (HKI) was founded in 1915 and is dedicated to saving the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. HKI aims to combat the root causes and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research in vision, health and nutrition.
ACF in partnership with HKI are starting the implementation of a System Enhancement for Transformative Health (SETH) in Kenya. The project funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC) aims at contributing to the reduction of maternal and child mortality in five Kenyan counties with serious nutrition and health needs (West Pokot, Trans-Nzoia, Busia, Kakamega and Bungoma counties) through enhanced and sustainable Maternal New born, Child Health and Nutrition (MNCH) interventions. This initiative also aims to reinforcing and broadening the partnerships between ACF, HKI and county health departments for enhanced capacity of county governments' efforts to deliver essential MNCH services through health system strengthening approach.
ACF and HKI are looking for Transformative Health Project Officers who will be responsible for SETH project implementation 5 respective counties of implementation to provide overall management and coordination of the Maternal and Child Health project (MATCH) in close liaison with the county government departments of health and other stakeholders. Overall objectives of the position include: The Project Officers will work in close partnership the County department of Health and other stakeholders to implement the project. They will report to SETH Project Coordinator –based in Nairobi with frequent travel to the project areas.
· Serve as the project focal point with CHMT to support the CHMT in planning and monitoring activities in the County
· Ensure coordination with all relevant health and nutrition actors at the county level including UN agencies, INGO’s, CBO’s and county health management teams to ensure the high performance of program.
· Work closely with the SETH CORE Management Team and the CHMT to conduct and/or update a landscape analysis of current stakeholders and their activities;
· Assess and remain aware of all interventions taking place in their county on health and nutrition and participate in all relevant coordination meetings in the counties;
· Engage stakeholders on a regularly basis as part of the implementation process; Convene County Level Meetings with stakeholders to discuss Health System management issues, the planning, organization, coordination and implementation of Health System Strengthening activities between key stakeholders;
· Represent SETH in County and sub-county meetings
· Maintain relationship with stakeholders and partners in the county on behalf of SETH project. Principally; County department of Health, UNICEF, MANI, Save the Children, APHIA plus, Yes Youth Can, Chiefs and Sub chiefs, Religious leaders, County governors, AMREF, Plan International among others
· Contribute to the development of a detailed implementation plan (DIP) that encompasses activities and assigns responsibilities against defined timelines
· Advocate with appropriate government officials and partners for continued support to improve routine child survival interventions through routine service delivery mechanisms and regular campaigns such as Malezi Bora.
· Liaise closely with other partners to support to County and sub County health management teams to:
o Improve the knowledge of Health Workers and Community Health Workers on MNCH interventions.
o Improve the knowledge of front line health workers in the documentation of MNCH interventions and its integration with the health sector reporting processes.
o Improve the knowledge of supervisors in supportive supervision and stock management.
o Support the health systems managers to better use HMIS data for decision making.
· Participate in County and sub County level reviews to facilitate problem solving and problem seeking by County and sub County Health Management Teams for procurement, training, supportive supervision and management and use of data for routine service delivery and Malezi Bora
· Liaise with the Yes Youth Can project, to mobilize the ‘youth bungees’ to sensitize the communities to the importance of MNCH services.
· Support the sub county health teams to mobilize the community for MNCH services specifically utilizing administrative leaders, Religious leaders, community dialogue days, etc.
4.M&E and Research:
· Contribute to development of Program Management Framework (PMF) that is aligned with the project logic framework
· Contribute to the development of a monitoring and evaluation plan (M&E), that encompasses key indicators; Contribute to the development of M&E monitoring tools, defining collection and consolidation and reporting processes with the CHMT;
· Ensure the timely reporting of the CHMT on the M&E .performance indicators;
· Engage CHMT in the analysis of systems weakness and appropriate actions to correct weaknesses and improve efficiencies.
· Validate all technical and financial reports from counties (e.g. Attendance registers)
· Ensure timely and accurate reports and minutes of county level CHMT and other stakeholder meetings.
· Carry out and document routine Monitoring of program activities carried out by County department of Health and other partners.
· Through collaboration with implementing partners, support MoH staff to carry out supportive supervision and on the job (OTJ) training
· Participate actively during surveys and routine assessments
· Work with the SETH Project coordinator- to analyze and report on data from surveys, assessments and program monitoring rounds
· Oversee dissemination findings and lessons learned for SETH projects for advocacy with County decision makers. Materials may include the social mobilization toolkit, lives saved tools and cost effectiveness calculation handouts.
· Other tasks as required by the Project Coordinator eg. Development of training tools, documentation, survey’s etc.
5.Reporting and Dissemination:
· Contribute to the preparation of annual reports, periodic progress reports, program statistics and other materials that may be required
· Submit monthly monitoring reports to SETH Project coordinator-.
· Provide technical support and build the capacity of County and sub County MOH staff in consolidating, validating and analysing MNCH data, ensuring that corrective action points are done based on monitoring data.
· Prepare and disseminate data at appropriate local forums.
What ACF and HKI will offer:
Remuneration package: Very Competitive salary package with additional benefits that include:
Career development opportunities
Comprehensive medical cover for self and dependents
Opportunity to work in an excellent and friendly environment with a dynamic and motivated team
· Duration of contract: 12 months, renewable depending on funding availability and performance
· Start date: to be communicated during interview
· Duty station: West Pokot, Trans-Nzoia, Busia, Kakamega and Bungoma counties
Qualifications, Experience, Skills and Competences
· University Degree in Public Health, Nutrition, Health Management, gender or related field
· Proven experience in implementing health system strengthening or gender programs
· At least three years of experience with INGO, NGO or development agencies.
Good knowledge of Kenya government policies and systems.
Demonstrated experience working with county and sub-county department of health
Demonstrated experience working with health care workers and community health volunteers
· Effective planning and organizations skills;
· Effective Coaching skills for health workers and the government partners
· Strong interpersonal, analytical, communication and advocacy skills; able to contribute innovative thinking within a team;
· Excellent report writing abilities;
· Strong communication skills, with excellent written and spoken English and Kiswahili
· Knowledge of computer applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and MS Outlook;
· Seasoned reasoning and judgment skills; Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
· Demonstrated experience participating and contributing to a productive team environment
· Being a resident of target counties will be an added advantage
NB: This position is open to Kenyan Nationals only
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should forward their applications including a cover letter and curriculum vitae. to:www.myjobsinkenya.com/action by Close of Business 19th August 2016. Certificates will be required later on in the recruitment process. Please indicate the position applied for on the subject line of the email.