(Ref. No. IRS/162/062016)
SENIOR ANIMAL HEALTH SCIENTIST
icipe — African Insect Science for Food and Health is a world-class research centre with a mission to alleviate poverty by ensuring food security, improving health, protecting the environment, and building the capacity of researchers and communities across the developing world through the application of insect sciences. Employing more than 500 national and international staff, icipe is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with outposts in Ethiopia, Somalia, Uganda, and on the shores of Lake Victoria in western Kenya. icipe has a proud reputation and history of delivering world-quality science that has made crucial contributions to African food and health policy, delivered development outcomes to rural communities, and has been at the forefront of building Africa’s biological research capacity. The Centre’s research activities span the African continent with partnerships linking research organisations, not only across Africa, but also the globe. In addition, more than 150 graduate students and a number of postdoctoral fellows contribute to icipe’s research portfolio annually. For more information visit: www. icipe.org
Please also download icipe’s Vision and Strategy 2013–2020http://www.icipe.org/publications/corporate-publications
icipe is seeking to appoint an outstanding senior scientist with a background in animal health research as it relates to insects and insect-borne diseases. The position is located within our Human and Animal Health Themes that have a combined staff of 53 with an annual budget of USD 7.5 M. The position is tenable in Nairobi at the icipe Duduville campus. This is a two-year contract, renewable after successfully completing a six-month probation period of the first contract.
A competitive and generous compensation package that includes housing and transport allowances, child education allowance up to university first degree, comprehensive health and life insurance, an offshore retirement package, all payable in US Dollars, will be offered to the right candidate. Furthermore, the incumbent will receive a paid vacation/annual airfare, and duty free privileges. If the successful candidate is appointed from outside Kenya, he or she will be offered support to relocate and settle in the city. Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
Living in Nairobi:
Nairobi is the capital and largest city of Kenya, with a population of over three million and plentiful supermarkets, malls, bars and restaurants, as well as recreational areas, open spaces and parks; and it is the safari capital of the world. There are a wide variety of excellent international schools, and well-equipped medical facilities that are open 24/7 in Nairobi. The city is also accessible by various reputable international airline carriers. Although it is important to be conscious of security, Kenyans are warm and welcoming of visitors.
Nairobi has a thriving international research scene, hosting various CGIAR centres and several UN agencies. icipe employs a number of international staff.
Overall purpose of the job:
The overall purpose of the job is to lead and support the development of a portfolio of research on animal health relating to insect infestation and insect-borne diseases. The Centre has an active portfolio of animal health research focusing on diseases transmitted by tsetse and biting flies, ticks and tick-borne diseases, vector-borne zoonotic diseases, and the nutritional aspects of insects as feed for commercial livestock. Reporting to the leader of the Human and Animal Health Themes, the successful applicant will be part of a multidisciplinary team contributing leadership and research strategy to the Centre in collaboration with icipe’s other Themes and Units. The successful candidate will develop and maintain a portfolio of research that is aligned with icipe’s strategy and goals.
- Work in collaboration with the Head of the Human and Animal Health Themes, and the wider icipe?leadership team, including the Director General (DG) and the Director of Research and Partnerships (DRP), as well as Heads of Themes and Units, to facilitate research and capacity building activities across the Centre.
- Promote and establish collaborative linkages with national, regional, and international institutions in the field of animal health.
- Actively seek and secure external support for animal health related research and development activities.
- Manage and develop the staff within the animal health team and foster a culture of science excellence, and ensure the team has the human resources required now and into the future.
- Ensure the icipe animal health portfolio of research meets its legal and reporting responsibilities to all stakeholders, including national licensing authorities and donors.
- Establish a vibrant and active research portfolio. Supervise research students.
Knowledge required for performing the job:
- A proven track record in a relevant area of scientific research as demonstrated by publication record and a history of securing external support for a portfolio of research.
- Ability to create and foster an innovative work environment and to work within, and lead teams, to deliver on agreed goals.
- Appropriate skills in research governance, including experience in the oversight of resource mobilisation and financial accountability.
- PhD degree in veterinary entomology, medical entomology, or related field, from a reputable university.
- Excellent publication track record.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience gained at a senior level in either a research organisation or university. Track record of writing successful proposals for large grants.
- Proven record of managing large resources—both financial and human—in a research environment.
- Experience in capacity building through supervision and mentorship of MSc and PhD studentsExcellent communication skills.
- Track record of exemplary leadership qualities is essential.
Other desirable attributes:
- High degree of organisation, adaptability and prioritisation.
- This position reports to the Head of the Human and Animal Health Themes.
- The selected candidate should be available to start as soon as possible.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications will be accepted up to 1st August 2016, or until the position is filled, whichever is earlier.
Interested applicants should submit:
- A confidential cover letter,
- Detailed cv with names and addresses of 3 referees (including e-mail addresses, fax numbers), and
- A statement illustrating suitability against the listed qualifications/competencies/abilities and skills.
Candidates are required to apply online through: http://recruit.icipe.org
icipe is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equity, teamwork, and respect for diversity.