Acacia Mining seeks to employ experienced Legal & IR Officers based at our Buzwagi (1 vacancy) and Bulyanhulu (3 vacancies) Mine Sites in Kahama District, Shinyanga Region. These roles report to the Organizational Effectiveness Section Leaders and the role holders will be accountable to manage the site based legal affairs, representing the Company in Courts and Tribunals and providing timely, effective and high quality professional advice and support to the business in all legal related matters. Main issues will range from Human Resources to Environmental; Land Acquisition to Community Relations; Contracts to Litigation and any business matters that will require legal attention.
These are permanent roles, with the work roster being six weeks on and three weeks off.
• Regulatory: In liaison with the Dar es Salaam Office attend to regulatory and compliance matters impacting on the Mine Site Monitor legal developments (new enactments) Provide advice on relevant standards and procedures Provide oversight and support on permitting and related matters Monitor and ensure validity and renewal of all licences Assist with the timely availability and submission of statutory/ government reports to the various regulatory authorities Prepare updates and frequently advise the Mine Site management on legal compliance matters Participate in meetings/ committees with stakeholders in various matters pertaining to mining operations - MEM, OSHA, NEMC etc.
• Litigation: Provide active and effective oversight of all litigation matters, including maintenance of case reporting system/ records Handle IR and Disciplinary Hearing issues as the HR representative with the highest sense of confidentiality and ethics Represent the Company at the CMA and High Court Labour cases and other cases of similar levels of complexity Provide timely and accurate reports on litigation to the Head of Legal and Compliance and the Company’s financial reporting group Effective engagement with the Mine and Company management in decisions relating to litigation In consultation with the Litigation Counsel and/or Head of Legal and Compliance liaise with external counsel representing the company in more complex/ specialist cases
• Environmental: o To analyze and identify legal risks and implications pertaining to environmental issues so as to avoid risks and negative impacts related to various aspects of the Company’s mining business
• Employment & Labour Relations: Provide training on ethics and other labour compliance matters to business teams at the site Advise the HR team and management in general on legal aspects pertaining to various labour related issues Acting as a liaison in all matters related to employee union negotiations, Workers Forum etc. Coordinate management efforts and strategies in resolving imminent industrial disputes or any industrial disputes as they may arise Advise and coach supervisors on understanding, interpreting and executing the internal disciplinary process/ procedure. Work closely with Trade Union(s) on employee relations issues
• Contracts & Company Policies/ Procedures: To draft, review, negotiate and administer all minor or site based contracts and other site based legal and transactional documentation signed or due to be signed by the Site General Manager To monitor compliance with the terms and conditions of various contracts entered into by the Company or its subsidiaries and at the same time to ensure that all rights, privileges and entitlements of the Company under the said contracts and the laws of the country are protected, enjoyed by the Company and not infringed upon In conjunction with the Company’s contracts and legal teams, provide timely legal advice to the Mine Management on all contractual related matters Advise the management on policy and procedure implementation To keep in safe custody all corporate & contracts records, registers, correspondence and other documents related to the legal function at the mine site.
• General: To participate and represent the interests of the Company in forums of a legal nature as may be instructed by the OE Manager To facilitate effective interdepartmental / cross-divisional communications on all legal related matters at the mine site To ensure that a good relationship is maintained at all times between the Company and all stakeholders in the sector relative to matters of a legal nature To handle ad-hoc assignments as and when instructed by the General Manager, OE Manager or the Head of Legal and Compliance Support and attend day-to-day queries from employees with regards to HR Processes and Procedures
University graduate with a Degree in Law Registered Advocate of the High Court of Tanzania
At least five years’ experience in legal practice Experience in appearing in CMA and the High Court (or similar levels in other Courts and Tribunals) Experience in mining industry will be an added advantage
Skills / Knowledge Requirements:
Knowledge of legal practices, procedures, techniques and principles Basic governance issues, public policy making/management and administrative law knowledge/skills; Reasonable level of computer literacy exceptionally conversant with MS Word Excellent problem?solving, analytical and organizational skills Strong interpersonal skills and customer oriented approach Ability to apply knowledge of Law and advise Management accordingly Sound interpersonal and strong communication skills, fluency in English and Kiswahili and ability to interact with other team members with different cultural backgrounds Skills in analyzing and interpreting Legal and Regulatory aspects that would have an impact on the Company’s business. Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines Self?driven and resourceful