The Pan African Lawyers Union (PALU) is a continental membership forum for African lawyers and lawyers’ associations. PALU was founded in 2002, by African Bar leaders and eminent lawyers, to reflect the aspirations and concerns of the African people and to promote and defend their shared interests. It brings together the continent’s five regional lawyers’ associations, over fifty-four national lawyers’ associations and individual lawyers.
For more information on our work, visit www.lawyersofafrica.org as well as our social pages Facebook , Twitter (English), Twitter (French), LinkedIn & Google+
Description of the Position
The legal Volunteer will assist in the development and implementation of PALU’s activities within its Litigation Unit.
1. Assist in the management and maintenance of case files before regional and continental Courts and Tribunals, mainly at the African Court on Human and Peoples’ rights and the East African Court of Justice
2. Assist in researching and preparing oral and written submissions and arguments;
3. Assist in maintaining and preparing documented case files on each complaint matter;
4. Make recommendations regarding disposition of cases;
5. Identify opportunities for advocacy in support of programmatic goals and objectives and provide legal input into the development and implementation of the organisation’s strategies and policies;
6. To assist in carrying out legal, policy and factual analysis as well as scenario planning on a range of issues topical to the legal profession in Africa;
7. Provide policy advisory, planning and advocacy services to African Law Societies
Required Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge
A minimum of a Bachelors Degree in law from an accredited college or university and admission to a Bar Association or Law Society; Experience in legal research, analysis, reporting and legal drafting; High level of professionalism, Cultural sensitivity and attention to detail; Ability to work under pressure as circumstances dictate; Availability for weekend meetings and flexible hours as necessary; Proficiency in software applications, in particular e-mail, word processing, database and spreadsheet software (MS Office).
Professional level oral and written English communication skills required (knowledge of French, Kiswahili or any other AU language would be an added advantage).
Location of placement
As soon as possible.
PALU does not give remuneration, however you will be given a monthly transport allowance
Applications that meet the above requirements should include the following information:
i. A cover letter;
ii. Curriculum Vitae with contact details of three referees. Reference must be available on request;
iii. Certified Copies of Relevant Certificates;
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. PALU is an equal opportunity employer that encourages applications from women and minorities. All applications will be considered in strict confidentiality.
Applications and further queries may be sent by email or hand delivered to:
Pan African Lawyers Union Attn: Human Resources Officer No. 3 Jandu Road, Corridor Area, Off Njiro Road P.O. Box 6065, Arusha - Tanzania. Tel/Fax: (+255 27) 254 3192