Established in 1944, the World Bank Group (WBG) is headquartered in Washington, D.C. with more than 10,000 employees in more than 120 offices worldwide. The WBG is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries. It uses financial resources and extensive experience to help our client countries to reduce poverty, increase economic growth, and improve quality of life. The WBG consists of five institutions i.e. the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA), which together form the World Bank; the International Finance Corporation (IFC); the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA); and the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). Staff safety is of paramount importance to the WBG and as such operational security and life safety measures are considered together with the physical security measures to provide appropriate and cost-effective protection for WBG office buildings. The WBG follows the general trend towards integrating various stand-alone security systems, such as communications, fire protection, CCTV, and burglar alarm systems to form the foundation for an integrated access control system.
The Security Specialist will provide strategic and executive direction for the optimization of the electronic security and fire life safety systems and will be responsible for assisting in the design, project management and maintenance of the overall system at the WBG HQ and where required at country offices.
This Security Specialist position will be based in the Corporate Security division of the General Services Department of the World Bank Group in Washington, DC. The incumbent will report to the head of the Security Operations Team and provide direct support to the Headquarter, Senior Security Specialist as well as members of the Global Security Team located in overseas offices.
In addition to the above, the position will require regular interaction with other external and internal stakeholders such as Corporate Real Estate & Facilities, Corporate Procurement, Resource Management, Health Services Department, Country Office Management and property insurance underwriter. Close coordination with the Security Specialist responsible for physical security matters in overseas offices will also be required. The incumbent will serve in a full time capacity and on-call for emergencies.
Duties and Accountabilities:
• Act, in conjunction with representatives from International Finance Corporation (IFC), Corporate Real Estate & Facilities (GSDCR), Corporate Procurement (BPSCP), GSD Liability Insurance (GSDLI), and Health Services Department (HSD), as subject matter focal point on electronic security technology systems and fire life safety matters, ensuring that these measures are appropriate and meet international, national, and WB standards/codes.
• Develop short, medium and longer term capital investment solutions for the all building related security technology and fire life safety systems for HQ offices and assist country offices where required.
• Ensure that security technology and fire safety are considered in country office physical security assessments.
• Assist in the implementation of electronic security systems and ensure its operational readiness.
• Maintain and regularly update the World Bank Group (WBG) Fire Life Safety Framework, as well as coordinate and monitoring compliance with and continuous improvement of the WBG’s Emergency and Fire Safety Plan, domestically and internationally.
• Oversee and manage the Bank’s fire prevention and related risk mitigation programs in conjunction with the WBG’s Insurance and Liability units.
• Promote, in conjunction with Corporate Security Communications and Training Team, fire life safety awareness training throughout the WBG.
• Maintain and regularly update the fire life safety web page.
• Establish, in conjunction with HQ, Global Security, Corporate Real-estate and the Security Operations Center, a mechanism to capture all fire and life safety emergencies in particular those that lead to injuries and death of staff.
• Assist in conducting security site assessments and investigations where required.
• Represent Corporate Security on the WBG Occupational Health and Safety working group.
• A Master's Degree in Engineering, Fire Science, Emergency Management or related field with 5 years relevant experience OR a Bachelor’s Degree with 8 years relevant years of experience may be considered in lieu of a Master's Degree.
• An Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems (OHSAS) certification covering, Occupational Safety, Fire Safety or Safety Risk Management desirable.
• Demonstrated comprehension of integrated electronic security systems at an enterprise level will be required.
• Minimum seven (7) years’ experience in Fire/Life Safety, Fire Prevention, Code Compliance or related field.
• Familiarity with OHSAS 18001 for Occupational Health & Safety is desirable.
• Experience in the design, project management and maintenance of electronic security and fire life safety systems.
• Experience in budget preparation, award negotiations, contract management, procurement, performance auditing, and dispute resolution.
• Experience working in a global multi-cultural environment.
• Strong analytical skills to successfully perform financial reviews, determination of responsibility and other forms of qualitative analysis.
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
• Excellent organizational skills, ability to work independently and assess priorities in a variety of activities with attention to detail.
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint).
HOW TO APPLY:
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in race, gender, nationality, culture, and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
For further details and to apply, please go to www.worldbank.org/careers and under “current job openings” seek vacancy number 160846. Deadline for applications is April 25, 2016.