Organization: Sightsavers Closing date: 05 May 2016
Job Purpose (the overall purpose and function of the job):
To support research and other evidence-generating activities within Sightsavers’ programmes in health, education and social inclusion in East, Central and Southern Africa (ECSA) and South Asia. Our current research portfolio includes a wide range of quantitative and qualitative studies, including prevalence surveys, behaviour studies, operational and system research and impact evaluations. We are looking for an experienced researcher with a strong interest in health and disability research and a broad range of expertise using both quantitative and qualitative methodologies. The post holder will work with our global Research team and our programmes in ECSA and South Asia and will support a range of research, dissemination and capacity building activities.
Principal Accountabilities (specific activities and end results):
· Work with the Sightsavers Research team and country offices to identify research questions pertinent to our programmes and to integrate operational research within our ongoing projects;
· Collate country specific information and evidence to underpin our new programmes and funding applications;
· Contribute to the development of study protocols and research tools; and submit ethics applications;
· Liaise with in-country academic partners and/or consultants and supervise all aspects of the fieldwork;
· Contribute to data collection; data analysis; reporting and dissemination of findings through peer-reviewed publications and presentations;
· Discuss research findings with programme managers and implementation partners and ensure that the implications of research are well understood and used in future programmes and advocacy;
· Contribute to organisational capacity building in the area of research skills and knowledge.