CHIEF BUILDINGS MANAGEMENT OFFICER, P4
International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda
10 January 2012-9 February 2012
Job Opening number
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Org. Setting and Reporting
International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, Division of Administrative Support Services , General Services Support Section.
Under the general supervision of Chief of General Services Support Section (GSSS) of ICTR, the incumbent is responsible for the administration, management, planning, supervision, budgeting and daily operation of BuildingsManagement Services (BMS).
Within the delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
1. Application of knowledge and experience to analyze and advise on the planning, design, construction, alteration and maintenance of major systems and facilities such as buildings, electrical distributions,waste disposal systems, water treatment facilities, electro-mechanical engineer ing and related structures and other engineering activities in the field including efficient and cost effective accommodation and space planning; logistics support to ICTR premises located at different duty stations, Safe houses, VIP residences, United Nations Detention Facilities (UNDF) etc.
2. Evaluates, reviews and revises project documents, and analyzes design specifications included in the project proposals for accuracy, soundness, feasibility and cost benefit. Make recommendations for resolution of unusual engineering problems. Provision of technical analysis of contractors on pre-qualifications, tender evaluations, negotiations, and carry out of feasibility studies related to major project options available, renting of premises and preparation of tender documents and contract agreements and for appropriate recommendation of BMS activities.
3. Conducts technical / project management studies on engineering topics, developing guidelines for the general planning and maintenance of programs and facilities and for the maximum utilization of resources like: manpower, materials, machinery and budgetary provision for the full scale maintenance, cleaning program, services and security installation. Keep abreast through relevant engineering literature, of significant trends and the development of improved methods and equipment. Participate in planning missions, serving as technical adviser to various committees and international meetings as required.
4. Administrative support:
BUDGET AND FINANCE: Assists in the preparation of financial performance reports for both regular and support account budget; assist in the preparation of the strategic framework; Monitor financial resourcesfor the Unit, to ensure activities are implemented in accordance with the respective Budget and allotments issued; Define requirements with respect to improving budget reporting systems and cost effective utilization of programme resources; Develop procedures and implement them to ensure that accounting and financial management controls are consistent with UN policy and practice; Oversee work related to procurement, billing and receipt of invoice from various services; payment to vendors and individual contractors for services; act as certifying officer for BMS budget;
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT : Assist Section Chief in coordination on various HR related issues of the Unit; review the staff requirement according to the approved budget and the requirement;
GENERAL ADMINISTRATION: Assist in policy development in the implementation of the completion strategy of the organization; participating in management committees like Local Property Survey Board, Welfare committee, Local Committee on Contracts etc as required; Supervise administrative arrangements in support of the organization of conferences, workshops, retreats or any off site meetings/training required by the organization; support the management in policy development; assist the organization in the management of the office space requirements; oversee the furniture and equipment inventory, and perform other related work as required.
5. Provision of all logistical support for the organization's activities in different parts of Africa, including liaising with the local/national authorities of the respective countries.
6. Provision of guidelines to the staff on different fields of Engineering/General Services including Assets management , electro-mechanical services, especially on planning, design, drafting, software applications, maintenance, construction, various services and reviews their performance for improvement.
7. Supervision of the activities of the archives and central registry services.
8. Performs other related duties as required.
Professionalism – Thorough knowledge of the Organization's rules and regulations as they pertain to building management and maintenance.
Planning & Organizing – Effective organizational skills and ability to handle a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner. Ability to prioritize own work programme and that of more junior staff.
Accountability – Ability to take ownership of all responsibilities and to honor commitments; Ability to support subordinates, provide oversight and take responsibility for delegated assignments; Ability to take personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Client orientation – Ability to identify client's needs and appropriate solutions, ability to establish and maintain productive partnerships with clients.
Managing Performance: Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff.
Leadership: Drives for change and improvement; shows the courage to take unpopular stands; empowers others to translate vision into results.
Judgment / Decision-making: Ability to identify the key issues in complex situations, and come to the heart of the problem quickly; considers positive and negative impact on others and on the Organization.
Advanced University (Hon) Degree (4 yrs.) in Civil/Building Engineering and post graduate qualification especially in Engineering and/or Business Administration and/or training in the related fields.
Minimal seven (7) years professional work experience in engineering / building / facilities / projects administration and management with at least 3 yrs. of experience with UN organization. Experience within UN System or international organization is desirable.
English and French are the working Languages of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR). For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is essential.
Candidates will be assessed based on the eligibility criteria and competency-based interview.
Extension of the appointment is subject to Extension of the mandate and/or the availability of the funds.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS.