The United States Peace Corps seeks a Medical Doctor, Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant to serve as a contracted Peace Corps Medical Officer (PCMO) based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. The PCMO wd provide health care to US. Peace Corps Volunteers in Tanzania as well as to Peace Corps Volunteers visiting from other countries, and wit work under the supervision of the Peace Corps Country Director in Tanzania and the Peace Corps Office of Medical Services in Washington DC.
· Routine primary health care to Peace Corps Trainees and Volunteers including treatment of common illnesses and injuries in accordance with Peace Corps medical guidelines
· Individual short-term counseling on disease prevention, adjustment issues. stress management and cross-cultural problems
· Response to emergency medical situations
· Member of Senior Peace Corps staff in Tanzania
· Design and presentation of health training sessions
· Site visits to Peace Corps Volunteers throughout Tanzania
· Administrative tasks of the medical office including budget management
· Inventory of medical supplies and equipment
· Alternating 24 hour on- call duty with two other PCMOs
· Minimum of 5 years relevant clinical experience in primary core
· Ability to communicate effectively in oral /written English.
· Experience in managing mental health issues including counseling of patients
· Experience in training design and presentation of health related material
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Out look
· Program management. administrative experience
· Ability to work effectively as port of an intercultural team
· Hardworking, reliable and diligent with good inter-personal skits
· Ming to travel to sites in Tanzania
· Ability to work with minimal supervision
· Must be able to travel to the United States to attend trainings as medical accompaniment
Interested applicants for this position must submit the following or the application will not be considered:
1. A completed PCMO Application form, o completed PCMO
applicant skills survey, o completed Privileging from. The applicant must complete this request for privileges depending on their professional qualficafions.
2. A resume or C.V. that includes:
· Professional positions held identifying duties responsibilities, dates of employment and reason for leaving
· Education and training, identifying universities attended, dates of attendance, degrees and diplomas.
· Professional licenses, certificates. registrations
· An accounting for periods of unemployment longer than three months
3. Three professional medical references, with of least two being from medical colleagues who have directly observed the applicant in a clinical setting. (One must also be from the current employer.)
4. Photocopies of:
Academic diplomas, Pease note, in addition to copy of the academic diploma, the applicant must submit an official academic transcript and curriculum. Professional licenses. If the license does not hove on expiration date written confirmation must be submitted directly horn the issuing authority. Please note, if a license is not required, rather, the medical diploma is the license to practice, written confirmation, issued directly from the professional medical board, Ministry of Health or other appropriate regulatory authority establishing that the candidate is property credentialed for medical practice, is required.
Certificates of all post graduate training, internships, residencies, fellowships Professional registrations
5. A cover letter
6. Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards, copies of degrees earned) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position os listed above.
7. The candidate should also provide the following:
a) Dote of birth
b) Place of birth
d) Passport number
e) Passport issue date f. Passport expiration date
All documents must be in English.
Official translation is not required.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO
Attention: Director of Management and operations
Subject:Medical Officer Application
Peace Corps Tanzania
The United States Peace Corps Is an Equal Opportunity Employer.