CLASP is seeking a highly motivated business, development and/or energy access professional to lead the expansion of innovative new clean energy access programs. In partnership with governments, philanthropies, major development institutions, and industry, CLASP supports and accelerates growth in the global markets for high-quality, highly energy-efficient off-grid energy service products, which deliver improved, more cost-effective modern energy services to un- and under- electrified households and businesses throughout the developing world.
The Regional Lead will work collaboratively with CLASP team members in the United States, Bangladesh, India and Europe, as well as wide network of international partners and program stakeholders. The Regional Lead will create, measure, and report programmatic impacts, and will be responsible for a wide and diverse range of activities related to the development and execution of programmatic and organizational objectives.
The Regional Lead will be responsible for the development and execution of an innovative new program’s expansion to several East African countries. The program couples the Global LEAP Outstanding Off-Grid Appliance Awards with results-based financing procurement incentives to drive best-in-class appliances into emerging off-grid markets. The program also features a variety of other market development activities, such as policy technical assistance and market research, and a robust monitoring and evaluation framework. The program launched this year in Bangladesh, and will be expanding to East Africa in late 2016 or early 2017.
Current program stakeholders include Power Africa, USAID, the US Department of Energy, Energising Development, the International Finance Corporation, the Clean Energy Ministerial, the UK Department for International Development (DfID), GIZ, the World Bank, and many others others.
The Regional Lead is also expected to play a significant role in other, related programmatic and policy activities, as they emerge, throughout East Africa and the continent.
The perfect candidate will have an extraordinary mind for program development, execution and administration, deep expertise on African market and policy dynamics, world class people skills, a commitment to impacts and results, and a sense of humor.
Box checkers need not apply. Creative, open-minded, innovative self-starters welcome.
Primary Position Responsibilities
Establish lasting, productive relationships: Build support among key constituents, including off-grid industry leaders, trade associations, government decision-makers, and donor organizations.
Build and maintain program infrastructure: Collaborate with global team members on the scoping and design of the program's expansion into East Africa, and develop foundational program elements (e.g., monitoring and evaluation protocols).
Deliver impacts and wins: Work with CLASP colleagues around the world to develop and implement the program and oversee the work of independent contractors. Manage day-to-day activities and administration in East Africa to ensure impacts.
Transform the off-grid market: Identify and explore barriers to market transformation for specific technologies and products in East Africa around the world. Develop creative approaches for overcoming barriers that fit into and leverage program activities.
Stay nimble and collaborative, and keep the big picture in mind: Contribute to and conduct programmatic work within the larger context of partner, sectoral, and CLASP efforts.
- 8 to 15 years of experience in business development and/or program administration; experience in the off-grid clean energy sector or analogous sectors preferred.
- Entrepreneurial, proactive approach to execution of long-term initiatives, and strategic approach to day-to-day and long-term problem-solving.
- Strong project management skills; demonstrated.
- Experience in engaging key stakeholders (including government officials, manufacturers, electric utilities, retailers, and consumers) to provide constructive contributions to energy-related programs.
- Excellent analytical skills and demonstrated ability to translate technical analysis to policy recommendations.
- A strong desire and demonstrated aptitude to collaborate effectively with colleagues, embrace new challenges and opportunities, deliver quality work product, solve problems, and approach to work that combines energy and passion to achieve results.
- Experience communicating for the climate, energy, or technology sector preferred; ability to translate highly technical information for a lay audience.
- Ability to work from the big picture to the small details.
- Ability to maintain composure, flexibility, and a sense of humor under tight deadlines.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, especially Word and Excel.
- Graduate degree in a relevant field (e.g., engineering, international relations, environmental science) or equivalent professional/academic experience.
About the Organization
Our mission is to improve the environmental and energy performance of the appliances and related systems we use every day, lessening their impacts on people and the world around us. CLASP develops and shares transformative policy and market solutions in collaboration with global experts and local stakeholders.
CLASP is an evolving, international, non-profit organization with offices and projects around the world. We’re mission-driven and culturally diverse. See our Team Page to learn more about our organization.
CLASP is the leading international resource and voice for improved energy efficiency in commonly used appliances, lighting, and equipment. CLASP’s programs and activities range from local to regional to global, helping decision makers determine and implement the most appropriate and cost-effective appliance solutions and convening global decision-makers to catalyze transformative action. Since 1999, we have worked in over 50 economies. Learn more about our programs.