Director Finance, Planning & Administration (DFA)
Place within the Organiza-tion
Reports to: Managing Director, and is accountable to
the Board of Directors
Supervises: hierarchically the HRand Administration Manager, the Estate Manager, the Chief Accountant and the IT administrator. Provides leadership to 20-25 directorate’s employees.
Purpose of Position
The Director Finance, Planning & Administration leads, manages and is accountable for the company’s Finance, Planning and Administration (including HR, IT and Estate) in order to meet the established objectives for growth and profitability of Banana Investments Ltd and Mzalendo Industries.
- Develops, within the framework of the organisational strategy, the strategy and the policy on the areas of Finance, Planning & Administration (including HR, IT and Estate).
- Works together with the MD to thrive the company; functions as a business partner and proactively advices the MD on formulating and implementing the Organisational Strategy and Policy, Organisational Structure, KPI’s, financial issues and all other company-wide issues; advises MD on recommendations to be made to the Board of Directors.
- Advices, assists and directs the other directorates in the development of strategy, policies, annual plans and budgets; reviews and adjust in cooperation with the respective Director before sending it to the Managing Director;functions as a linking pin between the other Directorates and the Managing Directors; makes sure to keep an company-wide overview in order to inform the Managing Director about (financial) developments.
- Executes, after approval of the Board of Directors, the strategy and policy; translates strategy and policy into annual directorate plans through accurately forecasting, and into individual goals on employee level; establishes and monitors its implementations by measuring and ensuring increased profitability and cost control; evaluates the achievements.
- Reviews and implements adequate company-wide policy;coordinates company-wide trainings on the use of the audit manual and on the existing policies such as HR and IT; measures the seriousness on policy implementation; makes staff accountable for implementation of policies and assigned tasks. .
- Develops, coordinates and keeps track of the Directorate’s budget in coordination with the Managing Director; ensures optimal use of the budget and increased efficiency and controls staying within budgetary lines; seeks authorization from Managing Director in case of expenditures needed outside the budget.
- Oversees and leads annual budgeting and (multi-year) planning process in conjunction with Chief Accountant; administers and reviews all financial plans and budgets; monitors progress and changes and keep Managing Director abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Supervises employees of own department in a way that keeps employees motivated;executes the company’s HR policy including performance evaluation on Managers level; provides clarity of tasks, reviews level of skills and identifies need for staff development, including organizing appropriate trainings and HR succession planning (promotion, replacement and recruitment); advises other Directors on effective HR management principles and assures implementation of the HR policy company-wide.
- Directs and coordinates overall Finance, Planning & Administration(HR and IT) activities, including the development, management and realization of increased effectiveness and efficiency of the procedures, processes and systems in such a way that costs are controlled and organizational profitability is increased; identifies (internal and external) opportunities for improvements, translates and implements those within of the organisation.
- Compiles, analysis and presents financial reports, including explanations beyond the numbers, in an accurate and timely manner in order to provide the Managing Director with sufficient information for adequate decision making; clearly communicates monthly and annual financial statements; and oversees all financial, company and subsidiary accounting.
- Monitors and enforces improvement of cost control mechanism at all levels and increases profitability; compares costs to sales; reduces unnecessary cost by departments; advices and assists other Directors and the Managing Director in decision making in a pro-active way.
- Provides working capital; manages stock, debtors, creditors and cash flow; identifies ways of debts collection; establishes viable and affordable sources of funding for company needs; conducts research on available funding sources; prepares business proposal for affordable financier; looks for a possibility such as a joint venture or equity financing.
- Contributes to new business development; coordinates and reviews feasibility studies for all investment opportunities.
- Promotes and supports implementation oforganizational and individual performance management; assistsDirectors to prepare and submit their departmentalwork plans; promotes accountability on work plans; assists on goal setting at the beginning of financial year; agrees on KPI’s performance; ensuresindividual performance appraisalsare conducted; pro-actively communicates outcomes of the company-wide picture to Managing Director; advises and assist Managing Director to carry out appropriate actions based on the outcome of the performance appraisals.
- Implements Strategic HRMto support Strategic Goals of the company and to increase employee’s satisfaction;develops and implements an annual agenda for HR strategy in line with the business plan; ensure HR plans and practices support the needs of the business, but are also flexible to cope with changes in the company; ensures implementation of all HR Practices (Recruitment and Selection, Performance Cycle etc.)
- Creates a culture in the company that fosters Learning & Development amongst staff;develops ability to employ creative and competent staff; identifies gaps in skills and ensures cost effective methods of delivery of training.
- Implements succession planning and career development in cooperation with HR Manager;Develops and updates People Balance Sheet; promotes Talent Management; aligns company’s talent profiles (on all levels in the company) with strategic requirements; conducts career discussion with identifiedpotentials; continuous supports them through coaching and assessments in order to maintain talented staff.
- Implements a robust contract management and financial management/ reporting system; ensures that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements; assists own and other directorates in case of question and issues regarding the SAP software.
- Promotes ICT development in the company to increase organisational efficiency; increase facilities and awareness; identifies needs and opportunities.
- Managesand enforces staff health care in the company; provides proper guidance in accessing and understanding the health insurance and its medical providers; conducts medical examinations; organizes preventative campaigns; analyses the costs and minimizes absence.
- Develops and maintains awareness of legislation; ensures compliance with Regulatory Authorities;advices Managing Director and translates it to implications for the company.
- Conducts regular stakeholder analysis; determines how to deal with stakeholders and how to improve; maintains relations with important stakeholders.
- Contributes and delivers input, as member of the Directors Team, to the organizational strategy and overall profitability; provides monthly Performance report to the MD covering achievements, setbacks and future plans for growth strategy; meets with Directors Team to discuss achievements and to exchange directorate’s developments; meets quarterly with the Board of Directors to present directorate’s part of the consolidated Performance report; meets regularly with the Managing Director in his role as business partner.
- Functions as the company secretary, for example in Board Meetings, Annual Reporting, Legal issues and meetings with Regulatory Authorities.
- Conducts other duties as assigned by the Managing Director.
- Internally with Board of Directors about Strategic issues, with Directors Team about strategic and tactical issues and budgets; with overall company Managers about company-wide issues and updates; with own directorate managers and employees about day-to-day operational and staff related issues.
- Externally with national and international (IT, HR, Financial services) suppliersand (potential) partners; with financial institutions; with Regulatory Authorities to stay up to date about regulations and norms, with external organizations who are involved in conducting marketing activities.
Key Result Areas
- Strategy, policy and annual directorate’s plan, incl. budget, development
- University degree in Finance
- Professional degree in accounting such as CPA or ACCA;
- MBA degree or equivalent;
- Experience as an director or similar; interfaces with CEO/MD
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a senior management finance position
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience (preferably) in the production industry
- Experience and in-depth knowledge of financial and accounting principles and practices
- Experience and knowledge of organizational effectiveness and management principles and practices
- Experience and knowledge of human resource principles and practices
- Excellent Information technology skills and especially on ERP software
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
- Working knowledge of Swahili (spoken and written)
Competencies, if applicable
Leadership - Focusing and guiding others in accomplishing work objectives. Motivating, inspiring and coaching the workforce. Developing others by reviewing and analyzing employees’ strengths and weaknesses;identifying and responding to their talents and development needs, making sure staff are enhanced appropriately.
Building a Successful Team- Using appropriate methods and a flexible interpersonal style to help build a cohesive team; facilitating the completion of team goals.
Communication -Conveying information and ideas to individuals or groups in a written and oral format on different levels (from production staff to Board of Directors) in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
Accountability - Holding self and others accountable for measurable high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results. Accepting responsibility for mistakes. Complying with established control systems and rules.
Facilitating Change - Encouraging others to seek opportunities for different and innovative approaches to addressing problems and opportunities; facilitating the implementation and acceptance of change within the workplace.
Strategic Decision Making- Obtaining information and identifying key issues and relationships relevant to achieving a long-range goal or vision; committing to a course of action to accomplish a long-range goal or vision after developing alternatives based on logical assumptions, facts, available resources, constraints, and organizational values.
Adaptability / Flexibility - Being receptive to new ideas, work structures, processes or requirements; willing and able to change own behavioural style and/or views in order to attain a set goal while maintaining effectiveness.
Judgement and Decision making -Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
Organizational Skills - Managing time appropriately, setting priorities and tasks, controlling the progress of employees’ processes, tasks, or activities and of one’s own work and responsibilities.
Results Driven - Meeting objectives on time, balancing cost and quality.
Problem Solving- Overcoming obstacles to meet a stated goal and involves discovering and analyzing problems.
Analytic and monitoring - Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals and departments to analyse a situation, comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions and coming forward with logical improvements or corrective actions.
Influence and Negotiating - Using persuasion to gain the support and cooperation from stakeholders, customers, superiors, colleagues, subordinates and other parties to achieve a desired course of action consistent with the organization’s strategic goals and objectives.
Delegation- Allocating decision-making authority and/or task responsibility to appropriate staff members; making effective use of staff members' time and potential.
Continuous Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problems-solving and decision-making.
Entrepreneurship - Recognising and evaluating (market) opportunities for (new) products and acting accordingly, taking measured risks into account.
Qualified candidates should send their Cover letter and CVs only to firstname.lastname@example.org. Shortlisted candidates will be notified. Deadline for the application is 15th Aprill 2016