The Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa
Lead Specialist Capacity Development: Ref: FARA/ad/LSCD/2016
FARA is the apex organization for agricultural research for development in Africa. The FARA Secretariat is the lead institution for Pillar IV of NEPAD’s Comprehensive Africa
Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP) which encompasses agricultural research and technology dissemination and adoption. FARA works closely with sub-regional organizations (SROs) and national agricultural research and extension systems to ensure effective implementation of CAADP activities.
FARA is seeking to recruit a highly qualified professional to fill the position of Lead Specialist Capacity Development
Within the context of the FARA-led Science for Agriculture Consortium (S4AC) the post holder will develop human capital and infrastructure for implementation of Science Agenda (S3A), Research for Develop (R4D) and Science Technology and Innovation (STI) interventions using trans-boundary or shared facilities and resources. The individual will support FARA and the Science for Agriculture Consortium (S4AC) and oversee the development and implementation of capacity development strategy in FARA to ensure that Africa has the human, institutional and innovative capacity in public, private and civil society agricultural organizations
Reporting to the Director, Research and Innovation, the successful candidate shall inter-alia perform the following roles and responsibilities:
- Develop and implement systems and strategies which contribute to the achievement of all FARA strategic priorities, particularly strategic priority 2 (SP2) on integrating capacities for change, specifically:
- Ensure that capacity initiatives respond to FARA’s mandate in the broader sense of the S4AC; facilitate achievement of outcomes for CAADP Phase II and Implement S3A;
- Lead development of capacity for FARA, SROs, NARIS, national agricultural ministries and agencies, CAADP national teams, Farmers Organizations and RECs to articulate and contribute to a common national, regional and continental Agricultural Research for Development (AR4D agenda and priorities in the context of S3A;
- Lead development of African Foresight Capacity in African countries and regional organizations level – including advancement of the establishment of the Africa Chapter of the Global Foresight Academy;
- Coordinate the development and implement mechanisms for interaction and collaboration among different stakeholders (farmers, research, education, extension, trade, agribusiness, and policy);
- Coordinate the identification, develop and implement mechanisms to improve the responsiveness of African institutions (research, educational, extension, trade and policy) to fulfil capacity demands from different stakeholders;
- Prepare materials and inputs for development of framework and operational guidelines for collaborative service agreements to promote learning and sharing of AR4D facilities and resources;
- Develop and support national capacities to mainstream the Integrated Agricultural Research for Development (IAR3D) approach in National Agricultural and Food Security Investment Plan (NAFSIPs);
- Facilitate programs to strengthen capacities of actors to participate and manage Innovation Platforms and systems to implement the S3A as a member of the flagship Teams and in collaboration with the Lead Specialist Innovation Systems;
- Provide support for improvement of collection and processing of data by flagship Teams;
- Facilitate development of Country Action Plans for human capital formation to implement the S3A with specific emphasis on Youth and Gender;
- Facilitate mobility program for scientists and AR4D professionals (emphasis on youth and gender in collaboration with the Gender and Youth Specialist), and establishment and/or support for agricultural research networks, institutions twining, collaborative research, etc.
A PhD degree in agriculture, agricultural extension, agricultural education (vocational education management will be an advantage) or related disciplines.
Interested candidates must possess:
- Good Knowledge of management skills
- Strong research and capacity development skills.
- Strong knowledge of agricultural development in Africa.
- Ability to conduct or manage multi-method programme and strategy evaluations.
- Demonstrated quantitative and qualitative analytic skills
- Ability to plan, coordinate and supervise the activities of team members and build teamwork and cooperation
- Strong people management and administrative skills
- Ability to plan, coordinate and supervise the activities of team members and build teamwork and cooperation.
- Strong people management and administrative skills
- Ability to share knowledge and experience.
- Ability to communicate and write effective in English and or French
FARA offers competitive salary and benefits in accordance with position and scale.
The position is based at the FARA secretariat in Accra, Ghana
Qualified candidates are invited to submit via email comprehensive Curriculum Vitae together with a cover letter and names/contact details of three referees to: Dr. Yemi Akinbamijo, Executive Director, FARA, PMB CT 173, Cantonments, Accra, Ghana. Email: email@example.com. Applications will be assessed against the required skills, experience and aptitudes set out above. Applications will be accepted up to 24th October 2016.
Due to anticipated high volume of applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
FARA Affirmative Action Statement on Employment: there is no discrimination on the basis of gender race, religion, ethnic orientation, disability or health status.
NB: Please quote in your application the reference code of the vacancy for which you are applying.