Accountabilities, responsibilities and main duties:
The postholder will be accountable to Country Director and to the Management Team more widely for the successful management of finance within the British Council Tanzania Directorate.
The post holder will be responsible for leading and managing the Finance team within the British Council Tanzania directorate.
Specific duties will include:
- Financial Planning. Manage the financial planning process for the office by discussing individual budgets areas/components with budget holders and make recommendations for managing adjustments at country level for Director's consideration. Ensure budgets are in line with country plan and strategy. Ensure an appropriate ratio of overheads to operational expenditure
- Financial Management. Oversee effective financial control of the directorate in line with corporate audit standards e.g. cash/cheque payments on system, regular monitoring, adequate separation of duties and other measures are in place to counter the risk of fraud; ensure budgets and income is managed in line with corporate standards, incoming resources policy, commercial trading policy, processes and strategies. Effective support in financial planning and reforecasting exercises.
- Budget monitoring and management. Analyse monthly progress of actuals and forecasts to year-end against year-to-date and annual budgets. Discuss any variances from plan with budget holders and recommend an appropriate course of action. Manage the staff costs budget. Manage in-year reviews of budgets and lead country performance reviews on a monthly basis using Month End Management Packs.
- Decision Support: Context Analysis and Risk Management. Monitor the external (political, legal and economic) and internal (corporate standards and procedures) environments and analyse changes and developments in them. Recommend an appropriate course of action in response to changes and developments. Contribute to external environment risk analysis and management. Ensure financial services and processes adequately address the level of risk in the external environment, are efficient, follow best practice and corporate standards and meet office needs.
- Leadership and line management of the Finance Team. Ensure that all finance -related activities are consistent with key equal opportunities and diversity principles and in line with all corporate policies and the Code of Conduct.