Position: Operations Manager
Organization: Silverleaf Academy Ltd
Reporting to: CEO
Direct report: Business Development Associate
Indirect reports: Head Teachers
Location: Moshi & Arusha
Contract: Full-time position, 44 hours per week (5.5 days per week, including half day on Saturdays)
Deadline: 24th July 2016 5pm
Summary of Position:
Silverleaf Academy is a new group of affordable, high quality schools in Tanzania. Our mission is to provide the highest quality learning at the most affordable levels. We are launching our first set of primary schools in the towns of Moshi and Arusha. Silverleaf Academy is looking for an Operations Manager who will work alongside and report directly to the CEO to oversee and manage all day to day school operations smoothly and efficiently. The position is a key role within the Central office and will help both with identifying new schools and preparing them for launching, as well as maintaining effective and efficient operations of existing schools to ensure the best learning environment for our students, parents and teachers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be responsible for all financial, operational, logistical, procurement, human resources, IT, and accounting processes for the organization;
- Participate in the development and ongoing oversight of school renovation or construction projects;
- Contribute to the preparation and maintenance of the Silverleaf Academy operations manual and all other school-related processes and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
- Ensure project issues and risks are logged, monitored, reported on, managed and mitigated, and escalate risks and issues to Senior Management, as required;
- In collaboration with Internal Audit/Systems Review and the Accountant, conduct periodic compliance checks on processes and internal controls;
- Maintain and build upon a project and risk management portfolio.
- Contribute operational information for donor reporting and Board level reporting purposes
Parent & Government Relationship Management:
- Drive marketing efforts to maximize student enrollment at all Silverleaf Academy schools;
- Drive operational excellence to ensure maximum Parent service satisfaction levels across all Silverelaf Academy schools;
- Liaise with and respond to requests or complaints from parents, as escalated by Head Teachers;
- Provide regular or ad hoc reports to the local, regional, or national government bodies as required;
- Support project advocacy with internal and external stakeholders;
- Human Resource Management and Recruitment:
- Drive human resource planning and recruitment and contracting for all new hires across the organization, and coordinate inputs and support from school-level leaders;
- Ensure safety and security procedures, including Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) requirements, are in place and adhered to;
- In collaboration with Senior Management, ensure staff performance management systems are in place and adhered to;
- Maintain project data on relevant HR systems for short-term and long-term staff and consultants
Procurement, Sub-Contractor and Grant Management:
- Prepare procurement documents and manage the procurement process for goods and services required for Central office and across all Silverleaf schools;
- Serve as a main point of contact with service providers and address contractual matters as required;
- Support development of project subcontractor / grant management procedures compliant with the organisation’s SOPs and Guidelines and our donor rules and regulations;
- Facilitate school and office leases and all landlord negotiations;
- Manage the school premises ensuring its well maintained and repairs are done promptly and within the set time and budget;
- Monitor and ensure quality of field procurement; ensuring compliance with Silverleaf’s anti-corruptions and due diligence processes;
- Coordinate the processing of service provider work orders and invoices;
- Monitor and report monthly on the status of budgets/invoicing and grants and control all costs;
- Ensure asset management procedures are undertaken and conduct spot checks.
- Lead, guide, mentor and manage the performance of one direct report and ensure appropriate leadership, guidance, mentorship and management of other staff based in the schools;
- Drive operational excellence within all Silverleaf Academy schools to maximise retention and satisfaction of all Silverleaf Academy teaching and non-teaching staff.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in a related field
- Minimum 2 years or more as an Operations Manager for a service organization, ideally within a school environment
- Financial acumen and the ability to interpret and analyse financial reports;
- Experience managing complex projects with a high risk profile;
- A minimum of 2 years of people management experience, including setting performance objectives, managing for results, giving and receiving feedback, performance evaluation and mentoring and coaching;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Willingness to travel throughout Tanzania (sourcing and overseeing new school sites)
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to think and act strategically
- Strong management skills with ability to train and develop staff;
- Ability to work with a low level of supervision and as a part of a team when required;
- Ability to interact with various stakeholders, especially local and regional government
Candidates interested and who meet the above requirements are requested to submit their CV including contact details of three professional references and a Cover Letter (indicating their suitability for this position) online via:
The position will receive a take-home monthly salary in the range of Tsh 700,000-900,000, depending on suitability and experience.
Successful candidates will undergo a six-month probation period before formally being offered the position.
The deadline for receiving applications will be 25th July 2016 5pm.
Please note due to the volume of applications, only short listed candidates will be contacted.