VACANCY: MEDIA AND COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR
Location: Rwanda, Abidjan, Yaoundé
Reports to: Executive Director
Line Management: Consultants and Communications Interns
The African Forum and Network on Debt and Development (AFRODAD) was created 20 years ago as a pan African platform and organisation for lobbying and advocating for debt cancellation and addressing other debt related issues in Africa. Over the next five years, AFRODAD will be working with others to address the problems of debt and development in the following thematic areas on the continent: Debt Management, International Public Finance and Domestic Resource Mobilisation.
This is a unique opportunity for an experienced media professional to drive how AFRODAD communicates about its work. The role is suitable for a person who is passionate about using news and quality communications to raise awareness and influence change, knowledgeable about the African region and motivated to be part of an energetic, talented regional CSO team working to influence African Governments to institute and implement policies and practices for sustainable development and eradication of poverty.
The successful candidate will have extensive experience of delivering advocacy wins, and will be an excellent, results-oriented staff manager, focused on building the capacity of colleagues to deliver on AFRODAD Strategic objectives. They will be an excellent communicator in English and French, with highly developed and convincing presentational skills, allied to a first class ability to write for a variety of audiences. They will have an important role in supporting fundraising, including implementing and renewing existing grants.
Raising AFRODAD’s profile and agenda:
- Attends to enquiries from the media on programme communications.
- Develops strong and sustainable relationships with the local and international media and organises field visits when necessary.
- Organises and manages press conferences when appropriate in liaison with the management team and acting as the organisation’s spokesperson if necessary.
- Develops, manages and updates content on the organisation’s website.
- Providing communication service in support of the delivery of programme objectives
- Proactively pushes the key messages in line with the organisation’s strategy, contributing to the public profile of AFRODAD.
- Organises and manages publicity campaigns on key poverty issues in line with the organisation’s strategic plans.
- Attends relevant press events organised by others and acts as AFRODAD media contact point.
- Prepares and disseminates appropriate quarterly updates on policy and programmes in an appropriate language and format for communities, partner organisations, other NGOs, government bodies, members of staff and the general public.
- Identifies story opportunities from the programmes, in liaison with programme staff and seek opportunity to produce or commission articles for relevant publications, both internal and external.
- Responds creatively, quickly and on needs basis to specific story requests from national, regional and international communications network.
- Identifies and provides support and advice on communications and media issues to staff.
- Provides media training for staff and other stakeholders where necessary and required.
- Scans the local and international press on daily basis and feeds relevant coverage to staff, suggesting public comment when appropriate.
- Produces monthly summary of the organisation’s coverage for management and programme.
- Writes timely press releases that respond to the AFRODAD news agenda.
- Manages the production process of all printed materials produced by AFRODAD.
Publications and Information Dissemination:
- Manages the resource centre
- Sources reference materials for the resource centre
- Organises and coordinates public events for AFRODAD
- Produces publicity materials, newsletters, brochures, posters, flyers etc.
- Manages the production process of AFRODAD publications for internal and external audience (such as research reports, annual reports, strategies, review documents, case studies etc).
- Compiles articles in the media related to AFRODAD and manages databank on the same.
- Promotes exchange of programme information with other organizations and external networks, coalitions and alliances.
- Supports the documentation and dissemination of impact information to key stakeholders.
Facilitating Strategic Information Support:
- Identifies and recommends technologies that improve AFRODAD’s work.
- Evaluates emerging trends and technologies relevant to the organization and presents findings, with recommendations and specifications through reports and presentations.
- Facilitates monitoring of servers and ensures incremental backup of staff computer materials.
- Monitors, recommends and negotiates telecommunications infrastructure for AFRODAD.
ROLE RELATED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Proven academic background and publishing. Minimum of a Masters Degree in communications, public affairs and/or journalism
- Excellent written and oral skills, with experience writing and editing content for a range of channels and audiences as well as the ability to write clearly and quickly with a high level of attention to detail, supported by a portfolio of published written work.
- Demonstrated experience or training in HTML, CSS and/or the use of Adobe DreamWeaver. Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (specifically Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) would be an advantage, as would familiarity with FinalCut Pro X or similar video editing tools.
- Experience in using a variety of social media platforms to support activities as well as highly developed photography and/or videography skills. Familiarity with developing and implementing social media strategies would be highly regarded.
- Proven organisational skills and ability to prioritise own workload and to work effectively both independently and as part of a team, meeting demanding deadlines and delivering high quality outcomes and an ability to liaise effectively with stakeholders in a culturally diverse environment.
- Excellent communicator in English and French, with highly developed and convincing presentational skills, allied to a first class ability to write for a variety of audiences
Essential experience and knowledge:
- Over 5 years experience inproducing and commissioning written content supporting marketing and communications activities, preferably in a regional policy and advocacy institution
- Minimum 5 years experience writing articles, reports, briefings, op eds, etc that have reached a wide variety of audiences
- Line management of staff, and team leadership
- Understanding of key debates and issues in development finance
- Proven ability to fundraise or support fundraising.
- Experience of developing and implementing initiatives to build capacity of staff, and support organisational development
- Fluent oral and written English and French
- In depth understanding of a range of development finance issues
Committed to AFRODAD’s objectives and willing to travel
The successful candidate be an excellent, results-oriented staff manager, line managing the three Senior Policy Analysts to deliver on our strategic objectives. S/he will have extensive experience of delivering advocacy wins, and be able to build capacity as well as contribute directly to advocacy, communications and policy development
If you wish to be considered, please submit your application and detailed CV to the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org alternatively submit your applications to the following address
The Executive Director
African Forum and Network on Debt and Development (AFRODAD)
31 Atkinson Drive
PO Box CY1517 Causeway,
The closing date is 31st January, 2017