The International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) is a regional knowledge management, learning, and sharing centre serving the eight regional member countries of the Hindu Kush Himalayas (HKH) – Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan. Mountains are one of the important global ecosystems facing the most rapid socioeconomic and environmental changes. Our aim is to influence policy and practices to meet the associated and emerging challenges in the HKH region. Working across three main programme areas – integrated water and hazard management; environmental change and ecosystem services; and sustainable livelihoods and poverty reduction – we seek to improve the lives and livelihoods of mountain women and men, now and for the future.
The HKH mountains are an important source of ecosystem services for the region and the world and they harbour many important natural resources. Rich biodiversity and beautiful landscapes are unique features of the region. Climate change, increasing human population, and globalization are putting pressure on mountain ecosystems with devastating consequences not only for mountain communities but also for human populations living in the downstream areas. ICIMOD is strengthening its competency on cutting-edge knowledge and technologies to help maximize the benefits of mountain ecosystem services. ICIMOD is currently looking for an experienced Environmental Economist with a good understanding of economic concepts related to ecosystem services, valuations methods, green economy, and institutions and policies.
Summary of responsibilities:
· Analyse mountain ecosystem related issues, options, policies, institutions, and laws.
· Examine recent developments concerning mountain ecosystem services and economic methods.
· Develop appropriate methodology for economic valuation of Himalayan ecosystem services.
· Guide and support economic valuation studies within ICIMOD.
· Analyse the impacts and costs of loss of mountain ecosystem.
· Analyse economic aspects of cross-cutting issues such as water, biodiversity, climate change, watersheds, livelihoods, black carbon, and sustainable development.
· Prepare and disseminate reports to feed into policy processes and decisions.
· Organize and/or contribute to relevant workshops, seminars, and training courses.
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
· Post-graduate academic degree, preferably Ph.D., in economics, with a focus on environmental or water economics/management, NRM, or other related field
· Five years of relevant work experience in interdisciplinary research and development
· Work experience in a similar organisation and/or the HKH region is a strong added advantage
· Good record of publications in environmental economics
· Excellent and demonstrated analytical and research skills
· Excellent spoken communication and networking skills as well as English writing skills
· Ability to work with multidisciplinary and multi-cultural teams
· Knowledge of statistical packages and economic modeling
· Demonstrated commitment to mountain peoples and environments
Remuneration: Salaries and benefits of ICIMOD are highly competitive compared to other regional organisations; remuneration is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Duration: An initial 3 years, with opportunities for continuation. Starting date is as early as possible.
Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD implements a gender fair policy and is supportive of working women.
For more information on ICIMOD and about the position, please visit to our website www.icimod.org.
Applicants are requested to apply before 18 April 2012 through ICIMOD’s Online
Application System at www.icimod.org/vacancies.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.