Contract Type: Fixed term – 1 year
Level: C2 – National
Salary Range: Kes. 224,782 – 315,180 gross per month plus a competitive benefits package
Oxfam is one of the world’s leading humanitarian agencies assisting people affected by natural disasters and conflict throughout the world.
With over 5,000 staff and dedicated volunteers in more than 80 countries, Oxfam is able to achieve the greatest impact to end poverty and suffering through combining emergency response work, long-term programmes for poverty alleviation and campaigning for lasting change.
The Horn, East, and Central Africa (HECA) Region is the largest region within Oxfam, covering 8 countries, including Ethiopia, Tanzania, Kenya, Somalia, Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan, and Uganda.
The Regional Centre is based in Nairobi and is mandated to provide leadership and support to the Oxfam country programmes in delivering their strategies within the context of programme quality, and efficiency.
REGLAP is a Consortium that works in three countries – Ethiopia, Kenya and Uganda.
REGLAP is housed in Oxfam’s Regional Centre and seeks to promote lesson learning and good practice documentation of DRR approaches in the drylands, and carry out advocacy for Governments, NGOs and other Stakeholders on key issues in relation to drought and the drylands.
You will work with REGLAP Consortium Members and UN agencies.
Lead on the development of policy, lobby and advocacy work on REGLAP issues for use at regional and global level.
Support country leads and regional leads in developing advocacy/ lobby strategies and in implementation of these plans.
Support REGLAP Consortium members to develop regional and country lobby and advocacy strategies on resilience, DRR and future of pastoralism with reference to humanitarian and development programmes.
Deliver high quality research on the different options for sustainable livelihoods in the region, working with colleagues from Consortium members.
Develop with the regional media team a communication strategy and lead in the development of REGLAP media statements, briefings and press releases (at regional level).
Manage and develop the use of new media in REGLAP communications strategy.
You will have:
- Demonstrable experience working on DRR and resilience issues, food security, pastoralism and sustainable livelihoods in dry land areas
- Strong track record of effective advocacy in Horn and East Africa, capacity building and working effectively with civil society in East African contexts
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking ability
- Track record of high performance and ability to deliver in high pressure environments
- Ability to think strategically , achieve results with excellent project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to motivate influence and negotiate both internally and externally, strong English skills
- Experience of working with UN agencies, government bodies and RECs and ability to build coalitions and gain consensus
If you believe you are the candidate we are looking for, please submit your application and CV including a day time contact by applying online at www.oxfam.org.uk/jobs using REF 5316.
The closing date is: 11th April 2012.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization.
Diversity The difference starts with you!
Oxfam is an equal opportunity employer.
You are not required to pay any fees to apply for jobs at Oxfam.
Please apply directly to the email address given.
Oxfam does not conduct recruitments through agents.