Amref Health Africa is an independent, non-profit, non-governmental organization (NGO) whose mission is “to improve the health of people by partnering with and empowering communities and strengthening health systems”. Amref Health Africa has over 500 employees throughout Africa with its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya. Amref Health Africa has offices in Tanzania, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, and South Africa, South Sudan and Senegal and a number of offices in Europe and North America for fundraising.
Amref Health Africa in Tanzania is largely supported by Multilateral, Corporate, Bilateral and National donors, implementing several programmes including HIV/AIDS/TB/Malaria, Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn and Child Health, Water and sanitation, Capacity Building, Laboratory strengthening and clinical outreach. Amref Health Africa in Tanzania has the following vacancies in Dar es Salaam region to be based in Dar es Salaam.
Amref has therefore received funds from Amref Spain to implement a two year project titled Solid Waste Management (Taka ni Mali) Project (SWM) in Ilala Municipality. The project aims at providing appropriate, sustainable, and economical solid waste management in the peri-urban areas of Kitunda, Kipawa, Kiwalani and Mzinga in Ilala municipality in Dar es Salaam. The project will improve waste management practices (collection, transportation, disposal and recycling) and improve knowledge on hygiene practice and behavior on handling wastes through hygiene promotion activities.
PROJECT DRIVER: SOLID WASTES MANAGEMENT (TAKA NI MALI) PROJECT
WORK STATION: DAR ES SALAAM
REPORTS TO: PROJECT MANAGER-SOLID WASTES MANAGEMENT (TAKA NI MALI) PROJECT
To drive and take care of the SWM project vehicle effectively and at required times
DUTIES AND RESPOSIBILITIES
• Ensuring the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition and cleaned.
• Reporting to the management on servicing (major or minor).
• Participate in vehicle maintenance by assisting the workshop mechanic.
• Recording vehicle mileage in the journey authorization sheet and submitting monthly record of distances covered against fuel consumed.
• Team work when in the field by percolating fully and effectively.
• Reporting promptly all vehicle accidents to Management and assisting in all necessary investigations for the same.
• Defensive driving techniques by strictly observing the Highway Code and traffic rules.
• To carry out any other duties as may be assigned by Amref management.
• Make sure the vehicle has been taken for police inspections required.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPRIENCE
• Form Four (O-Level) education certificates with valid certificate of competence for Driving License Class “C” for Tanzania.
• Three or more years’ experience driving for similar organizations and situation(s)
• NIT training with Driving Certificate
• Good record of integrity and team work
• Experience of driving on rural roads with difficult terrain
• Experience of working in INGOs and Government Health sector
Articulate speaker and communicator (oral and written) in English and Kiswahili
PROJECT MANAGER- SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT (TAKA NI MALI) PROJECT
REPORTS TO: PROGRAMME MANAGER – CAPACITY BUILDING/WASH
To provide technical support to the Programme Manager on the implementation of Urban Sanitation and Hygiene interventions and ensure timely implementation of project activities to achieve the project targets of the planned activities.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES: -
• Accountable to the implementation of project activities - planning, supervision and monitoring of Urban sanitation
• Take a lead role in community mobilization for awareness creation; capacity building to community on solid waste management.
• Implement planned activities and prepare activity reports, monthly reports and donor reports.
• Develop quarterly plans and budgets,
• Develop plan for solid waste collection, transportation and disposal
• Identify training needs for women/youth groups on solid waste collection, separation, transportation and recycling.
• Develop guidelines for solid waste separation including type of solid wastes to be recycled and proposed machine for recycling.
• Accountable on development of social business enterprise (women groups/youth groups) to support solid waste collection, transportation, recycling of solid waste and marketing of recycled products.
• In liaison with Programme Manager ensure proper communication and involvement with Municipal partners on implementation of project activities.
• Support programme Manager in programme development, concept note and proposal writing in consistent with Amref Health programme goal and strategy.
• Develop and document best practices resulted from the implementation Urban sanitation for improved health and Livelihood project activities
• Work closely with local and national government structures for communication and dissemination forums.
• In liaison with programme Manager ensure the effective communication and networking developed and maintained through partnership and collaboration.
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• University degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Environmental Engineering/ Water and environmental Resources management / Public Health; Environmental Science;
• Master degree on the mentioned qualification will be an added advantage.
• At least 5 years working in NGOs – particularly on community based Sanitation projects in consortium of multi-stakeholders (communities, local government, and donor).
• Experience in community development and participatory methodologies
• Experience in Monitoring and Evaluation of urban Sanitation projects.
• Knowledge of national policies and strategies relating to urban sanitation
• Knowledge of international strategies relating to urban Sanitation towards implementation of the SDGs,
• Experience in urban solid waste management
If you meet the criteria given above and interested in the vacancies, please send an application letter and CV combined in as one document indicating your present employer and position, daytime telephone contact, names and addresses of two referees. To be considered, your application must be received by 16.30 HOURS April 20 , 2017. All correspondences should be directed to: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Amref health Africa –Tanzania regrets that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Amref Health Africa is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy; Women and People with disability are encouraged to Apply