Title: DIRECTOR, GLOBAL EDUCATION MONITORING REPORT
Organizational Unit: Global Education Monitoring Report Team (ED/GEM)
Primary Location: Paris, France
Type of contract: Project Appointment
Duration of contract: One year, with possibility of extension
Annual salary: appr. US$ 139,446
Deadline (midnight, Paris time): 26 November 2016
Application to be sent to: email@example.com
CV Form to be used with a cover letter making reference to post “EDDIR.GEM”
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST:
The Global Education Monitoring Report (the GEM Report, formerly known as the Education for All Global Monitoring Report) is an editorially independent, authoritative and evidence-based annual report published by UNESCO. Its mandate, drawn from the Education 2030 Framework for Action, is to monitor progress towards the education targets in the new Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) framework. The substance of the GEM Report is developed and its quality assured by an experienced team under the leadership of the GEM Report Director.
The incumbent will have the overall responsibility for the content and delivery of the Global Education Monitoring Report to the Director-General of UNESCO.
- Direct the development of the annual Global Education Monitoring Report to the highest standards by ensuring excellence in its analytic, technical and creative contribution to the achievement of the education targets in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
- Sustain the integrity and independence of the Report;
- Provide effective leadership to the international Report team, sustain and extend its networks of researchers and consultants;
- Develop strong collaborative links with UNESCO Institutes and particularly with the UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS);
- Establish and develop strong collaborative links with universities and research institutes world-wide, particularly in developing countries;
- Develop good working relationship with governments, agencies, NGO, and other partners of UNESCO;
- Strengthen the international reputation and impact of the Report through a strong communication and outreach strategy;
- Work to ensure that long-term funding for the Report is secured.
Advanced university degree – a PhD (in exceptional cases a Master’s degree) in education, economics, politics, development studies or other social science discipline.
- At least 15 years of relevant work experience both at the national and international level.
- Proven leadership and managerial skills.
- Strong quantitative skills.
- Strong analytical and drafting skills in English.
- Record of publications.
- Demonstrated capacity to be innovative and to work under tight deadlines.
- Excellent IT skills to carry out the work.
- Ability to maintain effective working relations within a multi-cultural setting and to work effectively in a team environment.
- Experience in producing high quality analytical reports on education that are global in scope and are written for an international audience.
- Strong research and statistical skills.
- Good understanding of patterns of national financing and international aid for education.
- Ability to direct and manage a multi-cultural team of policy analysts, researchers and consultants.
- Commitment to maintain the independence and financial stability of the Report, while satisfying the administrative requirements of UNESCO.
- Ability to communicate the Report to a wide range of specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Excellent command of English, both written and spoken.
- Proven experience in the authority on international development, with a strong track record in education.
- Knowledge of other official UN languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS:
- UNESCO’s salaries are calculated in US dollars and exempt from income tax. They consist of a basic salary and a post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station, as well as exchange rates.
- Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, home travel, education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. More details can be found on the ICSC Website.
- Please note that UNESCO is a non-smoking Organization.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your application letter with the UNESCO CV (CV Form to be used) in English, directly to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org before 26 November 2016, midnight (Paris time, France).
Kindly use as e-mail subject header: “Application to PA – EDDIR.GEM (D-1)”
Please note that only pre-selected candidates will be contacted.
Kindly see the attachment for application form.