ActionAid started its operation in Tanzania in 1998. ActionAid Tanzania (AATZ) envisions seeing Tanzania without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys his/her right to a life of dignity. Currently, AATZ is looking for a qualified, experienced and self-motivated person to fill in the following post:
Job Title: Project Technical Officer – Food Security
Work station: National Office , Dar es Salaam
Reports to: National Project Manager –SDC Project
ActionAid is the lead member of the Partnership for Social Accountability (PSA) Alliance in a tender bid to the Swiss Agency for Development Cooperation (SDC) for a project titled ‘Strengthening Social Accountability and Oversight Capacity for Rights-based Public Resources Management in Health and Agriculture in Southern Africa’. The PSA Alliance is a consortium of 4 agencies: Lead organisation- ActionAid International (AAI), and consortium partners - Eastern and Southern Africa Small Scale Farmers’ Forum (ESAFF), Southern African HIV and AIDS Information and Dissemination Services (SAfAIDS), and Public Service Accountability Monitor (PSAM).
• Provide strategic advice to local and national staff and partners around programme design on sustainable agriculture and food security in ways that are consistent with our social accountability approach.
• Ensure that the work on social accountability within food and agriculture is closely coordinated with broader work within the sector
• Coordinate effectively with consortium members, (partners if appropriate), government, and other actors for successful implementation of activities of the project and strengthen a strong network around social accountability and food security.
• Monitor project activities at district and national level, ensuring documentation of impact and learning- particularly for small-holder farmers and other stakeholders involved with in the agriculture sector.
• Report to the National Project Manager, escalate emerging risks and issues where necessary
• Ensure that crosscutting issues (gender, HIV/AIDS, governance) are prioritised and monitored throughout the project period.
• Participate in regular planning and progress review meetings with the national project manager and team
• Identify and build relationships with key stakeholders and target group members for involvement and buy-in the project- particularly with small-holder farmers, issue-based CSOs on food security and media.
• Become a PSAM trained on the 5 processes and act as mentor and coach to targeted individuals to support social accountability monitoring.
• Work with the National Project Manager to develop, test and roll out capacity building measures on social accountability in sustainable agriculture and food security in collaboration with the technical officers.
• Facilitate district and national capacity building workshops with key stakeholders.
• Support the production of practical online and offline training recourse and toolkits.
• Ensure that data is collected in-line with the M&E plan and log-frame on a regular basis.
• Use and promote the use of project M&E tools, working closely with the Consortium Project M&E Officer to ensure use.
• Conduct analysis on policy and government documentation on food security to support evidence gathering for social accountability
• Promote participatory review and reflection of our work on social accountability in the agriculture sector - systematize ongoing monitoring in a rigorous way, draw out learning and generate knowledge
Qualification and Experience:
• At least 3 years’ experience working in a development organization on sustainable agriculture
• Comprehensive understanding of rights-based programme practice on food security
• Strong networking/relationship-building skills- ability to anticipate, coordinate and facilitate activities with colleagues.
• Knowledge of Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme framework and Malabo declaration.
• Strong analytical skills, able to review, understand and analysis policies and other governmental documentation
• Good understanding on monitoring, evaluation and learning. Able to follow log-frame indicators and report against them.
• Expertise in PSAM’s 5 processes of PRM
Education & Skills Requirements
• Relevant degree / Masters or equivalent experience in social science, political science, human rights, governance…etc.
• Strong communication and negotiation skills, with excellent written and spoken English
To apply, submit your motivation letter and updated curriculum vitae. Please, state your gross salary expectation per month in the motivation letter. You can send these documents through E-mail: email@example.com;
Closing date: 13rd April 2017 at 14.00hrs. Please clearly indicate “Application for ActionAid Tanzania Project Technical Officer” in your email subject. NB: Whilst all applications received will be assessed strictly on their individual merits, qualified women are especially encouraged to apply. Due to the anticipated volume of applications, we regret that we can only respond to shortlisted candidates.