Background: The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (llTA) invites applications for a nationally recruited position of Research Associate.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (llTA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa's most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. llTA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future
Duty Station: This is a Nationally Recruited Position, and the incumbent will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
• MSc in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Medical Sciences, Molecular Biology, Electrical, Electronics or any other related discipline with a minimum of 2 year experience in laboratory analysis
• BSc in the above disciplines with a minimum of 4-year experience in laboratory analysis or maintaining laboratory equipment.
• Ability to complete assigned tasks efficiently without delay
• Team building and coordination ability
• Good understanding and operational skills of laboratory equipment
• Excellent understanding of processing of handling of analytical data
• Ability to work under minimal supervision
• Ability to work long hours
• Conduct laboratory analysis using High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), Rapid Visco Analyzer (RVA), auto analyzer and ICPAES on cooked/Processed food from cassava, maize, cowpea, soybean and plantain and banana
• Operate and carry out preventive maintenance on laboratory equipment such as High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), Rapid Visco-analyzer (RVA), auto analyzer and Inductively coupled atomic emission spectroscopy (ICPAES)
• Perform sampling and sample preparation for micronutrients in all llTA mandate crops, and also for proximate, cyanogenic potential (CNP)and dry matter analyses
• Review analytical procedures to obtain better results, and performing other laboratory analyses
• Plan, process and procure laboratory chemicals, materials, accessories and consumables for all laboratory equipment and analysis
• Provide expertise in quality control/assurance of analytical data generated in the laboratory
• Supervise the laboratory staff and coordinate all laboratory activities
• Write technical reports
• Perform any duties assigned by the supervisor
The initial contract for the position is two years with the possibility of renewal. This is a nationally recruited position, and llTA offers a competitive remuneration package.
Applications: Applications including a letter of application, curriculum vitae, copies of certificates, telephone number, email address, and names and addresses of two referees should be sent to the Country Representative, llTA-Tanzania, Plot No. 25, Mwenge- Coca-Cola Road, Mikocheni Industrial Area P.O. Box 34441, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania or by email to IITA·Tanzania@cgiar.org
Applicants are requested to please indicate the reference number for the position as indicated on the heading of the announcement in your application as well as on the subject of your email if sending by email. If sending by post or hand delivery, please indicate the application reference number on your application as well as on the left-hand side of your envelope. Please note that any applications without the reference number indicated will be automatically disqualified.
Closing date: Two weeks from the date of advertisement appearing in the newspaper. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Source: The Guardian 20 June, 2017