PATH is an international nonprofit organization that creates sustainable, culturally relevant solutions, enabling communities worldwide to break longstanding cycles of poor health. PATH's mission is to improve the health of people around the world by advancing technologies, strengthening systems, and encouraging healthy behaviors.
In the last several years, remarkable progress has been made in fighting Malaria worldwide. Advancements in prevention and treatment have resulted in marked reductions in illness and death. Eliminating malaria is achievable using existing tools and a focused strategy, and the Malaria Control and Evaluation Partnership in Africa (MACEPA), a program at PATH, is working with its national partners to chart the forward through the development of an evidence-based framework to guide countries through a comprehensive set of program interventions to elimination.
As part of MACEPA’s support to the Government of Zambia’s Ministry of Health for malaria monitoring, evaluation and surveillance, we are seeking a Malaria Surveillance Specialist to assist with the roll out and management of the rapid malaria reporting system. This system uses a web-based instance of District Health Information System 2 (DHIS2) and mobile client developed in JAVA as well as Excel pivot tables. Data is collected via mobile phones weekly from community health workers and health facility staff working through the Ministry of Health.
- Provide technical expertise and support during training of client operators in areas related to data collecting, analysis, implementation, and hardware operation and trouble-shooting.
- Working with web-based server to keep client information updated
- Monitor weekly data reporting ensuring timely and accurate reporting of data through routine analysis and supervision; identify areas for improvement and inconsistencies requiring follow-up.
- In collaboration with the NMCC, work with client operators (facility and district Ministry of Health staff) to strengthen the quality of data; conduct field visits when necessary to ensure that activities take place as planned.
- Work with the NMCC, local MOH representatives and MACEPA staff to ensure appropriate software and hardware required for Rapid Reporting is in place at all levels
- Under the guidance of the MACEPA M&E team and Senior Technical Advisor, develop M&E tools where needed and adopt appropriate existing tools for better reporting.
- Plan for regular opportunities to identify lessons learned and implications for further scale up in other districts.
- Assist in the planning, design and implementation of the Rapid Reporting system as it is expanded throughout Zambia.
- Providing updates to Ministry of Health and partners on system developments and progress.
- Work with MACEPA administrative staff to develop training budgets, manage workshop logistics and ensure activities comply with PATH accounting practices.
- Other duties as required
- Excellent computer skills using MS Word, Excel, and Outlook—must have demonstrable ability to format documents, prepare charts and manage data; experience with MS Access preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills to include conflict resolution, priority management and managing expectations of multiple clients.
- Highly organized, flexible, and adaptable to changing priorities and ability to work well under deadlines.
- Work in team situation with minimum supervision.
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills in English; experience facilitating trainings highly desired.
- Ability to travel domestically up to 50% and occasional international travel.
Malaria Surveillance Specialist (4906)