TPA Board of Directors intends to recruit a dynamic, committed and qualified individual to fill one of its top Management positions. This position is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated, entrepreneurial-minded and result-driven professional with a proven track record. Such candidate should have the ability to prioritize activities and exercise good judgment plus the ability to make legal decisions efficiently. The candidate should also be prepared to handle multiple tasks and work in a constrained environment. Furthermore, prospective applicants should have high personal integrity, solid management and leadership experience and should also be able to work independently.
DIRECTOR OF LEGAL SERVICES – 1 POST
Salary Grade: TPSS 2
Station: TPA Headquarters
a) Job Purpose:
To provide Head and leadership as well as general management of the Directorate of Legal Services and ensure company’s legal affairs are well managed and safeguarded.
b) Organizational Relationship:
Appointed by: The Board of Directors
Reports to : Director General
c) Key Roles and Responsibilities:
(i) Head of Directorate on legal matters and cases pertaining to TPA as a complainant or defendant;
(ii) Provides legal advice to the TPA Management;
(iii) Liaises with the Attorney General (AG) office on all pertaining legal matters;
(iv) Liaises with the High Court and courts subordinate, other institutions, Government Ministries and;
(v) Responds to public legal inquires about TPA operations;
(vi) Advises and witnesses contracts, concessions and agreements involving TPA and other parties;
(vii) Supervises all advocates handling cases for and on behalf of TPA;
(viii) Reviews and develops the company legal, procedures and recommends areas of improvement;
(ix) Conducts vetting and ensures safe custody of legal documents e.g. contracts, title deeds and official seal.
(x) Reviews legal reports and opinion on matters involving TPA claims for presentation to management;
(xi) Supervises day to day implementation of duties under the Directorate;
(xii) Supervises and appraises staff and identify their development and training needs;
(xiii) Performs any other duty as may be assigned from time to time.
d) Personal Specifications, Qualifications and Experience
(i) A holder of LLB and LLM, Knowledge in Maritime Laws and arbitral Disputes Resolution will be an added advantage;
(ii) Be registered as an advocate of the High Court;
(iii) Minimum of 5 years post-graduation working experience in a reputable organization with 3 years in Managerial position in the
relevant field or at least in a Senior level in a Public Institution;
(iv) Has adequate experience in successfully handling cases of similar nature and complexity as those pursued at TPA;
(v) Must be computer Literate and Fluent in both English and Swahili;
e) General Conditions for Applicants
1. All applicants must be Citizens of Tanzania;
2. Age not above 50 years old;
3. Applicants must attach an up-to-date current Curriculum Vitae (CV) having reliable contact, postal address, e-mail and telephone numbers;
4. Applicants must have the following relevant certified copies of academic certificates:
Postgraduate/Degree/Advanced Diploma/Diploma transcripts.
Form IV and Form VI National Examination Certificates.
National Service (JKT) certificate as will be determined relevant.
Professional certificates from respective Boards
One recent passport size picture and birth certificate.
5. Form IV and Form VI Results Slips are Strictly Not Accepted;
6. Testimonials, Partial transcripts and results slips will not be accepted;
7. Presentation of forged academic certificates and other information in the CV will attract sanctioning of legal action;
8. Applicants currently employed in the public service should route their applications through their respective employers;
9. Applicants for entry levels currently employed in the Public Service should adhere to Government Circular Na. CAC. 45/257/01/D/140 dated 30th November, 2010;
10. Applicants who have/were retired or terminated from the Public Service for whatever reason should not apply;
11. Applicants should indicate three reputable referees with their reliable contacts;
12. Certificates from foreign examination bodies for ordinary or advanced level education should be certified by The National Examination Council of Tanzania (NECTA);
13. Certificates from foreign Universities should be verified by The Tanzania Commission for Universities (TCU);
14. Deadline for application is 21st October, 2017;
15. Applicants with special needs/case (disability) are supposed to indicate clearly;
16. Women are highly encouraged to apply;
17. In case where applicants have similar qualifications, an applicant who holds a National Service (JKT) certificate will be highly considered;
18. Only shortlisted candidates will be informed on a date for interview;
Application letter should be directed to:
THE DIRECTOR GENERAL,
TANZANIA PORTS AUTHORITY,
P. O. BOX 9184,
DAR ES SALAAM