The Government of The Republic of Uganda has secured fi nancing from the International Development Association (IDA) toward the cost of the Uganda Health Systems Strengthening Project (UHSSP). The Government wishes to engage a Reproductive Health Advisor under the Project. These Terms of Reference (TOR) are intended for the individuals who shall be engaged for this exercise.
2.0 Project Description
The project objective is to deliver the Uganda National Minimum Health Care Package (UNMHCP), with a focus on maternal health, newborn care and family planning through improving: human resources for health; physical health infrastructure; and management, leadership and accountability for health service delivery.
The project is composed of the following components:
1. Improvement of maternal health, newborn care and family planning services
2. Strengthening Human Resources development and Management;
3. Enhancement of physical functionality of health infrastructure;
4. Strengthen Leadership and Management Systems
The Project implementation is through the existing Institutional arrangements of Government whereby the respective departments of the Ministry are responsible for the day to day operations and management of the activities of the project. Additional Project Staff shall be recruited on a case-by-case basis to beef up areas of need.
The Ministry of Health therefore, requires the services of a TA to provide hands-on technical support as way of building capacity to run the project as well as monitor progress made on attainment of MDG5 and MDG 4 through implementation of the project. The TA will also help to get work done within the limited time available to carry out the initial preparatory activities and therefore get the project running. The TA will also support the timely procurement of relevant Reproductive Health equipment, medicines, and related health supplies including Family Planning equipment and supplies.
3.0 Reproductive Health Advisor
3.1 Objectives of the Assignment
The objective of the assignment is to provide support to the Ministry of Health in getting the implementation of the RH component of the Health Systems Strengthening Project running, under guidance of the Assistant Commissioner RH.
The Reproductive Health Technical Advisor shall report to Assistant Commissioner (Reproductive Health).
3.3 Responsibilities and tasks:
In accordance with the Project objectives, the Technical assistant shall;
• Coordinate development and execution of projectrelated work-plans;
• Prepare periodic project-related reports; this will require that appropriate forms are used. Where lacking will coordinate designing of forms e.g. for quarterly reports to be used at the health facility, district and national levels.
• Supervise other implementers of the RH component of the project
• Coordinate RH studies including baseline: this
will include: developing tools for the baseline
to be conducted on RH as part of the project
• Liaise with PDU and National Medical stores on
procurement of Family Planning, Maternal and
Newborn health care medicines, equipment and
• Develop the Monitoring and Evaluation framework for
the RH component.
• Provide technical inputs into the coordination processes especially between the Ministry of Health and other stakeholders focusing on the RH component of the project.
3.4. Qualifi cations and competences
• The applicants must be Ugandan Nationals with a basic university degree in Human Medicine and a Masters Degree in Public Health or Obstetrics/ Gynaecology or population studies/Demography from
a recognized University / Institution.
• Additional qualifi cation in the area of information management is an added advantage.
• Should have at least 5 year’s minimum experience on programs/ project management in Reproductive
• The applicant must have at least 5 year’s minimum experience in Implementation of a program covering Reproductive Health.
• Experience in monitoring and evaluation of projects related to Reproductive Health will be an added
• An inception report on the Technical Advisor’s understanding of the above task, including a costed plan with timeline, for carrying out the aboveassignment.
• Tools for the baseline assessment on RH.
• Periodic procurement reports on RH medicines, equipment and related supplies.
• Monitoring and Evaluation framework for the eproductive Health component established.
• Formats for quarterly reports for the health facility,
district and national levels developed and in use.
• Quarterly reports on the RH component of the project repared.• Technical inputs into the coordination processes especially between the Ministry of Health and other stakeholders.
3.6 Duration of assignment
The Technical Advisor will be recruited for a period of 24 months with the option for renewal subject to satisfactory erformance.
3.0 Submission of Applications.
Applications accompanied by detailed Curriculum Vitae, copies of certifi cates and testimonials and at least two competent referees, one of whom MUST be from your current or previous employer should be addressed to:
The Permanent Secretary,
Ministry of Health,
Plot 6/7 Lourdel Road,
P. O. Box 7272
The Applications should be delivered not later than 5th
May 2011 to:
Procurement and Disposal Unit,
Ministry of Health,
Plot 6/7 Lourdel Road,
4.0 Procurement Schedule
The procurement schedule is (subject to minor changes) as follows:
Publish Bid Notice 14th April 2011
Bid Closing 5th May 2011
Short listing Process and approvals 18th May 2011
Interviews 27th May 2011
Dr. Lukwago Asuman
For PERMANENT SECRETARY